X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huawei e220 modem

Hello Folks,

Maybe somebody here can help me...
    I just installed kubuntu alongside my xp, and man, am I impressed! This is computing!! I only use the desktop windows machine for music in my my workroom and for feeding internet to my router. Normally, I wouldn't touch xp, but hey.... I much prefer macs. However, if I can fix this one problem I have, I'll probably get rid of osx as well. Again, I'm very impressed.

So, the question: my vodafone mobile connect box (huawei e220) doesn't work. I've read pretty much every page on every forum about this, I've downloaded packages and tried installing, but nothing works.

Q: Is the file: "vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux_1.99.17_i386.deb" my best choice? If so, do I need python for it to work? Terminal tells me it installs and that I can open it in the internet menu, but it doesn't show up there.

Q: Is that package an automatic installer, or do I have to do terminal work to get it working? If terminal is required, I will stop trying. Sorry guys, but being a mac user I'm simply used to everything automatic, and I just don't have the time to "work" to get my computer to work. I played with the osx terminal for a few months a few years ago, and I remember liking it, but having to learn and study quite a lot. Can't afford the time.

Anybody able to help, please?

Thanks

MC

Re: Huawei e220 modem

I am gonna guess that it was installed, but not showing on your 'start/internet' menu.

You may need to create this menu item under menu editor.

As for command line - - from time to time, you will need to use it. It's where the real power is. You may not need it for months, and then you will have a problem. Don't worry about it. the folks around here will usually indicate exactly what to use/type.

Comment

Thanks Yelester!
      I was actually beginning to think all the forum members were on holiday
      I'm waiting for more ram to be delivered, put that in, and then do a wubi install. Installer needs 256 Ram. That way I can fiddle with it without reboot, and download whatever I am missing.

Is Python required for this package I mentioned?

I'll post when I have more questions, or, hopefully, result!

By the way, I like kubuntu so much, I convinced my neighbour to try it. He's a XP hero, but when he saw Kubuntu, he kicked XP out of his laptop. And he likes it so much, he will also sell his XP desktop. Says he doesn't need it anymore now that his laptop is turned into a thoroughbred racehorse. Kubuntu +1, XP, well, whatever.

Comment

"""Is Python required for this package I mentioned?"""

Really couldn't tell you at the moment, but the one thing about Linux and especially Debian Packages, the system will identify dependencies. If your missing something, there is a good chance it will tell you what it needs.

Once you get your system up, you may want to go through the software ad/remove and get all the repositories. Once you have that, see if your package is already in one of those locations, and install from there. (You did mentioned you downloaded it though, so the 'right click / install method should work fine)

Pardon me if I'm a bit vague at the moment. I cant remember the step by step procedures, and I'm on my Mandriva system at the moment.

Let us know when your up, and what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by yulester

Once you get your system up, you may want to go through the software ad/remove and get all the repositories.
          Whoaha, easy now. Noob alert here.. Dependencies, I can make sense of, but "get all the repositories"... ehm... you what? I guess there are countless repositories out there, should I get them all, or what do you intend to say? Is a repository like a package?

Can't do the wubi install yet, delivery in south of Spain is very slack. But, my good friend Life just threw a 20G HD in my lap, so if I get this jacket finished today (i'm a tailor) I'll try to install dual boot tonight. Not sure if that will help, cuz I won't be able to download anything.

Thanks for looking in on me though.... more to follow.

MC

Comment

Best way to describe repositories in a generic way is to say they are warehouses of software. They are set up to work with the 'Apt Get' software system. Once you get up and running, we can look at this a bit closer.

Comment

right, I guess that makes sense to me. Would that be more or less similar to macos libraries?

Comment

I'm gonna guess - - probably

I really don't mess with code at all. I just try to make the hardware work with the code somebody else has put together.

Comment

Right, so my fingers were itching so much, I just had to install. Dual boot, works fine, ok.

Got two packages that should work. Clicking on the packages gives me two different errors: one says: you need python glade k. Can try to get python once I've been able to do a wubi install, have to wait for the ram to be delivered.

The other package opens a terminal window, and returns the error: you must be root.

So I have two questions:

1: How do I run this installer as root? Please keep in mind I know next to nothing, so try to keep it simple please...

2: I read somewhere you can do a wubi install and bypass the ram limitation with a command/parameter such as: skipmemorycheck, or something like that. Would you be able to tell me how to run the wubi installer that way? It would make it possible to connect to internet with windows, but run ubuntu.

Thanks in advance

Comment

""": How do I run this installer as root? Please keep in mind I know next to nothing, so try to keep it simple please... """"

In command line the command 'sudo' will force the root access. When used, it will ask for the root password

Example
                    ding@dong:~$ sudo iwlist
                    [sudo] password for ding: (enter root password)

- - - and the results will follow

Basically, add 'sudo' to the front of a command to run as root administrator.

Comment

Working...
                    X