This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smb and streaming music/video help please

Newbee here but im dying to change from windows so hopefully somebody can help me out.
    I have a lacie NAS share several folders which kubuntu connects to fine but im unable to stream anything, im also on wireless using a msi card which kubuntu has said is a Ralink (is this right anybody?).
    Also whne i go to transfer a file to the share its extremeley slow 100mb about 2hours? recpetion is fine my laptop running xp does it in a minute. Also when it transfers a file everything goes slow mo, ie the mouse jumps everywhere when moving it around the screen.

So if possible could you help me on streaming and also the wireless card do i need a new driver if so how do i go about getting/making one. Also just realised that when i transfer a file to the NAS it starts very fast but within 10seconds its gone to its slow mode.
    Thank you for your help
    Ian the vista hater!!

Re: smb and streaming music/video help please

So by the lack of any comments does this mean ive got no chance with streaming video etc.

Please help

Comment

I can't help with the wireless, but the streaming problem is a Samba issue. Take a look at this tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ounting+shares

I usually also need to activate WINS, as follows:

To mount a windows share on a DHCP network, it is convenient to be able to mount by netbios name, so you don't have to modify the mount parameters every time you reboot your network. This can be easily enabled by doing the following:
      Edit your nsswitch file
      sudo nano /etc/nsswitch.conf

search through the file and look for the line that looks something like so:
      hosts: files dns

and add "wins" to the end of the line so it looks something like this:
      hosts: files wins dns

Save the file by hitting ctrl+x, type "y" to save the buffer, and <enter> to exit.
      note: "wins" MUST come before "dns" if you are using the openDNS service.
      Now you'll need to install winbind
      sudo aptitude install winbind

Reboot, or restart your network.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help, i actually gave up and installed Dream Linux where everything just works fine, but i will try this this afternoon on my other spare machine. Ive tracked the bug with the wifi down and made one using ndiswrapper which is working a charm, thanks for your help again.

Comment

Working...
        X