Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broadcrum's 4318 wirless & ndiswrapper in Hardy headaches...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadcrum's 4318 wirless & ndiswrapper in Hardy headaches...

My Acer laptop (Aspire 5002WLMi) has a built in Broad-crum 4318 wireless adapter, and I'm not able to use the b43 driver in the current Hardy kernels. When I do try to use the b43 driver I get ton's of APIC error's in dmesg and log files, sudden momentary system freezes, and an eventual random system hard lock-up where I can't even ssh into the laptop from my desktop to properly shutdown and reboot. I know the problem is with the b43 drivers because the system works fine without wireless connectivity when I manually unload them from a terminal just after boot - no APIC errors, no momentary system freezes, no random lock-ups. This always worked flawlessly with all of Kubuntu's previous releases with ndiswrapper - that is until I upgraded to Hardy. I ended up blacklisting the b43 driver & the ssb driver, and ndiswrapper reports that it loads in my logs and dmesg, but ndiswrapper will not under any circumstance load the windows driver despite it showing as present when asked to list installed drivers.

ndiswrapper driver listing under current Hardy Kernel's 2.6.24-16 & 2.6.24-17
    andrew@lappy2:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5a : driver installed
    device (14E4:4318) present (alternate driver: ssb)

Driver listing under Hardy using Gusty Kernel 2.6.22-14
    andrew@lappy2:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5a : driver installed
    device (14E4:4318) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)

The one and only way I can use ndiswrapper for a working wireless adapter while keeping my system's perforamance up and running stably is to continue to use the Gusty Kernel 2.6.22-14 - quite annoying to say the least. Any ideas on what I can do to get ndiswrapper wrapper to actually put the bcmw15a driver to use in the current kernels?

Re: Broadcrum's 4318 wirless & ndiswrapper in Hardy headaches...

Do you know if you have a Broadcom ethernet card (wired)? If so, it could be using the ssb driver. You might check lsmod to see if b44 or ssb shows up in there.

Comment

In the Hardy kernels I manualy unloaded originally b43 and ssb at the same time. I further blacklisted both (in /etc/modules.d/blacklist) to prevent them from loading at boot. I don't have a broadcom wired card. The laptop has a built in SiS wired ethernet adapter to go with the internal broadcom wireless. I don't see b44 listed with lsmod.

Comment

You might want to try the suggestions in this post on the Ubuntu forums, although they cover another card from the Broadcom 43XX series.
        Hi! I am a forum signature virus. I already infected this signature. Please copy/paste me to your signature to help me spread!

Comment

Working...
        X