This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi went down: eth1 is suddenly wlan0

I have no idea what has happened. Wifi was working beautifully yesterday, but today on power on, it finds no networks! (There are two in the neighborhood, including my own.)

The wifi device is suddenly called wlan0, but I am pretty positive it was called eth1 yesterday.

Can anybody help?
    I have a straight (untweeked) Hardy setup, Broadcom B43 driver.

Re: Wifi went down: eth1 is suddenly wlan0

hey i'm really noob (as in this is the first time i have tried to help someone) but i would try

go into terminal and try the following commands

iwconfig

ifconfig

ifconfig -a

to see if at any point you see your eth1
    "ifconfig -a" shows all interfaces, even ones that are down, if say you only see eth1 when you do "ifconfig -a" then you can

sudo ifconfig eth1 up

if you do this and your wireless still dose not work, you might wont to

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down

also if you where messing around with your drivers (like say if you changed them) it might not show your interface (eth1)
    if you know your driver names you can switch the drivers by unloading the current one with

sudo modprobe -r driver_name

and then load the one you wont with

sudo modprobe other_driver_name

if it was the drivers you might wont to blacklist the driver that dose not work so it won't load during start up,
    i'm not exactly sure how you do that though, for my driver it was:

echo "blacklist ipwraw" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ipwraw
    sudo depmod -ae

where ipwraw was the driver to blacklist but that's just copy-pasted from a Walkthrough

i hope this helps but again, like i told you, i am really noob.
    but you might be able to get more info to get better help from ppl who know what they are doing

Comment

Thanks Woods, that at least got me started. Sorry I could not get back before, My entire network has been down today (for reasons unrelated to Kubuntu)

None of the config commands showed me any eth1. None! Not the ifconfig -a either.
      But you suggest I unload a driver and then load the one I want.

Now I am not at all sure I know what driver I want. But I did see yesterday that adept update sent me a new file, lshw and it included this line:
      configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb

But now it tells me:
      configuration: driver=k8temp module=k8temp

I am frankly a little daunted by the idea of entering
      sudo modprobe b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb

Any ideas?

Surely this is wrong, no?

Comment

I am using B43 and my Wireless is wlan0 and it works, did you by any chance enable ndiswrapper?

Comment

There's a good post on the Ubuntu forums on how to use the ndiswrapper module. For me, it worked, even with WPA.
          Hi! I am a forum signature virus. I already infected this signature. Please copy/paste me to your signature to help me spread!

Comment

About ndiswrapper - no, I had rather thought I didn't have to use it since wifi worked beautifully for over a week after the upgrade to Hardy.

In the meantime I am simply going to reinstall, when I have time, because I think that Mondo which I installed (it was in the repositories) has corrupted some files. I think (I hope) that is the explanation. If not (of wifi fails again) I shall go for the ndiswrapper.
            :-)

Comment

Working...
            X