X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knetworkmanager does not open

I have a Dell Vostro 200.
    I installed (finally with the 'irpoll' tweak ) kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 with wubi.
    But knetworkmananager doesnt work (thats how its called right ?!).
    I want to configure my network settings but the interface does not work !
    Does it have something to do with my machine?!
    What can i do ?!

Re: knetworkmanager does not open

Hi there

Its not going blank its just that it is already running the connection icon in the upper corner is the manager

Comment

Ok then. Let me put it this way. When i right click on the icon next to the watch (lower right) and click "manual configuration" nothing happenes.
      I want to configure my network card. How can i do that?!

Comment

It seems that i cant fix this, or at least nobody can help me fix this . So i guess ill just go ahead and install vista. At least i hope i wont have so many problems . Ill come back later to see if something is fixed.

Comment

KNetworkmanager has given me problems not only with HH but with previous Kubuntu incarnations as well.

I solved the problem once and for all when I nukes KNetworkmanager and installed wicd instead.
          Works like a charm - even after upgrades, new installs and the like.
          You can find it with Adept or Synaptic.

wicd requires LKnetworkmanager to be completely removed from the system before it can be installed. So, make sure you have a wired connection going - just in case - until wicd is safely installed.

Comment

Well the problem is that i dont have internet if i cand configure my network card. So i cant use adept.
            So how can i configure my network card w/o knetworkmanager ?!

Comment

((

Comment

Have you appended your hostname to the end of the 127.0.0.1 localhost line in /etc/hosts? Have you checked that it is still there? I find that it keeps getting removed. Kdesudo fails if it cannot recognise the hostname

Comment

Has no one figured out why knetworkmanager will not work in Kubuntu Hardy? The program will not open, no error messages or feedback of any kind.

Comment

Hey, I totally understand your frustrations, guys! Been there, done that. Just read some of my more recent posts.

KNetwork Manager is a flaky (perhaps, even buggy) program but I really don't think there exists any decent GUI front-end for configuring or operating your wireless hardware and particular wireless settings. I know people claim this and this is good but it hasn't been my experience. If your device and drivers aren't configured properly, the GUI managers aren't very helpful.

If KNM is not working, it got corrupted somehow. I usually have it run but not be able to scan anything or do anything with wireless. But, imho, that is because the drivers for the device didn't get loaded or connected to the GUI/Manager properly. Or something like that.

Try re-installing the KNetwork Manager. You might have disabled it. Did you install another GUI? It might trump the KNM. Check your /etc/network/interfaces file, too, just to know what is getting written there.

I would also check: iwconfig

KNetwork Manager not starting at all is not normal, even for that program.

Comment

Working...
                    X