This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to a WPA Wlan with 8.04

I've just done a clean install of 8.04 (KDE4 + KDE3, but I've done config on 3 so far) on my ageing Compaq Armada M300 laptop (PIII 600mhz, 300Mb RAM). Just about everything worked, except I can't get a connection to my WPA protected home network.

I'm using a Netgear WG511 v2 PCMCIA wireless card with Ndiswrapper and the windows driver. This worked fine and Network-Manager can see all my local wireless networks. when I try to connect it asks for my WPA key, goes away and thinks about it, then comes back and asks for the key again.

I tried using Wicd instead of Network-manager (I used to use wicd on Kubuntu 7.10) but same story. Wicd hangs trying to connect to a wpa network. If I turn off WPA and go back to WEP, Network-Manager connects fine.

My network is a Netgear DG834GT, which was running WPA-PSK, but now just wep .

I've found a few vaguely similar sounding bugs linked ot wpa-supplicant, but no resolution. Anyone else connecting to a WPA network using Hardy ?

Thanks

Paul.

--
    http://www.paulhurley.co.uk

Re: Can't connect to a WPA Wlan with 8.04

if this is the card, then it seems it simply doesn't support wpa.
    netgear's uk site says you'll get wpa-psk through a firmware upgrade

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

That is the card, except the wireless was working with WPA under Gutsy...

Anyway, After hardy refused to auto-magically spot my sd card's when plugged into the usb reader (that, again, Gutsy had no problem with) and a few other 'feelings' of not quite right-ness, I'm reinstalling Gutsy. Will post back whether WPA starts working again....

Sorry Hardy, I tried, maybe it's not you, maybe it's me, we'll never know !

Thanks

Paul.

Comment

Hello

I also had issues connecting to wireless via Hardy but not under gutsy. Installed other wireless managers with no help. Was inches to going back to gutsy and tried again this time completing kwallet and BAM!!! connected perfectly dunno what that password watcher is good for but worked for me (IBM r51) onboard tho would work fine with no wep but with wep or wpa wouldnt work without KDE Wallet

Anyhow best of luck

Comment

got it.
          it's hardy, then.
          guess people will have to wait a bit longer for the new kubuntu...
          cheers.
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Working...
          X