This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

name resolution dies after a few minutes [Realtek R8168]

Note that this problem occurs with the builtin Realtek driver or the one modified and installed by instructions here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4718501

This is a very weird problem and I don't know how to precisely trigger it. Basically, I have connectivity at 1000Mbps, DHCP-configured. I can open a browser but after 5-6 minutes, DNS resolution fails. I can ping IP addresses successfully, but DNS fails. Cycling the connection (ifconfig eth0 down/up) fixes it, but obviously I can't be doing this every 5 minutes.

Any thoughts? I was wondering if it is a local DNS nameserver problem, but I don't know how to test with known good public nameserver as I cannot figure out how to force the nameservers to be static when I am using DHCP. In Windows this is easy, and probably on kubuntu as well, but I cannot figure it out.

+Reardon

Re: name resolution dies after a few minutes [Realtek R8168]

Are you connected to a router?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Are you connected to a router?
      Yes, of course. Not sure how else I'd be on the Internet. I am on Columbia Univ. campus, which uses a variety of (smart) switches and routing. We are 3 hops from Internet2.

My DNS servers are at 156.111.60.150 and 156.111.70.150, though I am not sure how public-facing these are.

+Reardon

Comment

FWIW, I tried playing around more. If I simply 'sudo dhclient' and renew my lease, this fixes the problem. Temporarily of course, name resolution just dies again after a few minutes. I tried using ettercap (packet sniffer) also and the outbound nameresolve packets look fine. No inbound packets are seen.

+Reardon

Comment

Working...
        X