This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless no longer works

Unfortunately I won't be able to update to Hardy due to a problem with wireless connection. In fact, today I'll be going back to Gutsy since I cannot work without my wireless access. This seems to be a serious regression and although I filed the following bug on Launchpad it seems that it's not considered a show stopper. The text from the bug I've filed is the following:

------
    I'm using Ubuntu hardy (development branch) version 8.04 on my Fujitsu-Siemens M1452G and I've noticed a regression in the range of the wireless connection (I'm using ipw2200 but someone reported the same problem in the forum using a Broadcom 4312). The driver connects to the access point only if it's within 1 to 2 meters. Previously I could connect to the access point anywhere in my home (distances up to 20 meters).

The output from the 'lshw -C Network' command is:

*-network:0
    description: Wireless interface
    product: PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 3
    bus info: pci@0000:01:03.0
    logical name: eth1
    version: 05
    serial: 00:15:00:00:83:ce
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ipw2200 driverversion=1.2.2kmprq firmware=ABG:9.0.2.6 (Mar 22 2005) latency=64 link=no maxlatency=24 mingnt=3 module=ipw2200 multicast=yes wireless=unassociated

and the output from iwconfig is (sitting next to the router):

eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"wlanMann"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:18:39:90:CD:57
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
    Retry limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key:1F78-AB54-F32C-10F5-9D4D-9521-6EAC-EF86 Security modepen
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=84/100 Signal level=-32 dBm Noise level=-85 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:2

However, I only need to move a few meters from the router and I can no longer connect. I've tried both with and without encryption but I always get the same behavior.

I also uninstalled the network manager and tried to connect manually: this worked from a distance of about 6 meters but the link quality would continually oscillate between about 67/100 and 0/100 making the connection unusable. I did notice when moving from near the access point to another room a message in the log that informed me that a better connection was found and it was switching to that connection, but it could then never reconnect.

I'm not sure, but this problem may have started with the last updates to 7.10 right before the Hardy beta was released.
    -----

If anyone has any ideas what might be causing this I would sure appreciate your input. Thanks.

Re: Wireless no longer works

I finally found the problem and it has nothing to do with linux. The problem was simply too many APs using the same channel. I changed my AP's channel from 11 (that the other 3 networks were using) to 1 and everything started working perfectly. So if anyone is experiencing the problem I had changing the channel just might be the solution.

Comment

Working...
    X