Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grub menu hidden and user not in filedoers file. How to use visudo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub menu hidden and user not in filedoers file. How to use visudo?

Hi,

It's a bit of a bother as I have been trying to ssh the laptop of my brother all day with not success.
    I used to be able to do so but since it has been upgraded to Linux 2.6.18.8.tex5 a little while ago, I cannot SSH it anymore.
    That's not very convenient as he is living in another country.

I know sshd is installed but it isn't running.
    Trying to start it using sudo brings the error message "XXX is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.".

Now the solution would be to start the OS in debugging mode to use visudo and add the user in the list but the Grub menu is hidden.
    To amend the file and comment the "hiddenmenu" parameter I need root access. To have root access, I need the menu.

There got to be another way to bring the menu or add the user to the sudoers file.
    As anyone else faced this issue before?

Re: Grub menu hidden and user not in filedoers file. How to use visudo?

You can boot from a LiveCD. You will be operating as the SuperUser. Mount the HDs root partition and you can then access and edit the Grub menu file.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      SECTION 4: Menu.lst
      Editing, Accessing, backup, timeout, default, Where to put Windows in menu.lst
      Make Kubuntu default OS; Changing the order of the OSs in the boot menu

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank for the help.
        Seems like my bro will have to wait a couple of month before I go to help him you.
        He is 13, I can't expect to get through this by phone.

I don't get that since the upgrade he is not in the sudoers file anymore.

Comment

Out of curiosity to understand what happened, was he in sudoers by uid or by being added to the admin group. Kubuntu has a default sudoers that gives sudo to people in the admin group, so if the upgrade replaced the file and he is part of admin that should not be a problem. If you added him to sudoers by uid and the upgrade replaced the sudoers file he would not be in it anymore. It would be nice to know if some upgrade mechanism for Kubuntu would replace that file.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
            Out of curiosity to understand what happened, was he in sudoers by uid or by being added to the admin group. Kubuntu has a default sudoers that gives sudo to people in the admin group, so if the upgrade replaced the file and he is part of admin that should not be a problem. If you added him to sudoers by uid and the upgrade replaced the sudoers file he would not be in it anymore. It would be nice to know if some upgrade mechanism for Kubuntu would replace that file.
            I didn't need to add him after the installation. He used to be in the filedoers from the start when we installed Kubuntu with only one user created within the installation process. It had never been a problem to "sudo su" from his account, well, untill the upgrade.

Comment

Running "sudo su" is not the same as running sudo. If he locked the root account by expiring the password that will fail. Can he run "sudo -i"?

Comment

Working...
              X