This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 64bit won't boot gui

I recently ran an update through the adept installer and later on my computer crashed while amarok was running. Now when I reboot I get this black screen with text, I can do basic things but since I'ts a laptop I can't get wifi support while in "limbo" So I need to know how to either fix this problem or re-install without loosing data and accessibility to that data...

any suggestions? (I run 64bit kubuntu with a HP Pavillion DV9000) I have my computer dual booted with vista (which since I've started using kubuntu, I never use) so please, help?

Re: Kubuntu 64bit won't boot gui

Hello Keylore,

could you inform us about what the 'black screen with text' is saying?
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

If you were running a proprietary video driver, and during the updates you installed a new kernel, and rebooted with the new kernel, then it is normal to boot into the CLI. You have to install the video driver onto the new kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        If you were running a proprietary video driver, and during the updates you installed a new kernel, and rebooted with the new kernel, then it is normal to boot into the CLI. You have to install the video driver onto the new kernel.
        This also applies to the 32-bit OS. I booted my HH OS yesterday for the first time in a couple of months, and it installed several updates. I believe some were a kernel upgrade. It worked OK all day, but this morning it would not boot to the GUI. I rebooted in recovery mode to get to the CLI and then ran envyng from the command line to reinstall the Nvidia drivers, and it rebooted to the GUI the next time. Thanks for the tips. I was about ready to reinstall from scratch.
        AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Working...
        X