This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Kubuntu experience

I just wanted to share my admiration for the linux community. For the past two weeks, I have been using Kubuntu 8.04 exclusively on my laptop (wiped Vista), and have been reasonably happy. I learned a lot, about upgrading packages via command line, uninstalling OOO2 and replacing with OOO3... everything worked well right out of the 'box'. I had no hardware issues (unlike 8.10) and was cruising along. However, the one deal breaker for me was that I cannot access my network printer (Pixma 700). I tried downloading a driver, tried compiling it, installed the SANE backend - all to no avail. I could ping the printer, but the add printer network scan would never find it. I really tried very hard to keep going, and perhaps I'll find a fix sometime, but I reluctantly had to switch back to the man. My desktop however still has Ibex on it, and I don't plan on removing that (has it's own printer). I just wanted to share my experience and overall enjoyment I had with Kubuntu, and I look forward to using it again. I suppose for now I could just use a VM.

Re: My Kubuntu experience

Did you try to add the printer as a local printer using the TCPIP as the port?
    That is how I added mine. Also try and do a direct connection to the printer and see what happens.

Noel Vh
    ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

was the printer connected via a print server, shared, etc...I have both my printers on a wireless print server, with no problems.
      mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

No, the printer is directly connected to my router upstairs (built-in ethernet). No, I didn't try adding as local with IP address as port (funny, in Windoze it's often displayed like that). I think what I'll do is try again in a VM, and if all goes well we may renuke the drive with a better, more secure OS (yes, linux). :P

Comment

I think you will need the IP of the print server (built into router), and the port #, which I think shoudl default to 9100.
          mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I don't have one (print server) configured on my router, could it be automatic? My router has OpenWRT firmware. I logged into it to check the IP of a printer, but I couldn't find any mention of a port in the menus. Even so, when scanning the network (add printer dialog) I tried every port in the list, changed the subnet to my private network's, and still couldn't detect it. I hope the local thing works. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

CUPS - Common UNIX Printing System 1.3.9 This connects to your printer port through your localhost connection. Very easy to setup/configure you connected printers from here.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, I like what you did there. Appreciate it.

EDIT: Just noticed Forums>Documentation>Kubuntu User Testimonies. Mod, could you please move this thread?

Comment

so you got it sorted?

Comment

lol, no, sorry, I'm still at work! :-X I will report progress once I try.

Comment

Working...
                    X