Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOVED Kubuntu Trying to Boot to a Virtual Kernel ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOVED Kubuntu Trying to Boot to a Virtual Kernel ???

After I installed VitualBox, my system kept attempting to boot to a virtual kernel. The only way I could override this was to press Esc and select the correct Generic kernel from the list. How do I make the Generic kernel the default again and delete the virtual kernel selections from the list? Are these list items similar to Windoze restore points? Please Help.

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: Kubuntu Trying to Boot to a Virtual Kernel

Hi,

sound strange. VirtualBox woks inside standard system after you boot up kernel. Are you sure, it is VirtualBox that is causing you a problem?

Comment

No, absolutely not! I agree VB is only another application that runs AFTER Kubuntu boots. What can I do to find out and, in the mean time, how do I change the default boot kernel ?

mhumm2
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

This thread is solved! I took a look at my files system and found /boot/grub/menu.lst file. This entry was the 3rd one down the list:

Code:
        title		Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic 
        root	    (hd0,0)
        kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=UUID=6a03aef4-d6dd-4d0f-b0d4-b9624ec2bec3 ro quiet splash
        initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
        quiet
        And this one was the default (top of the list) before I changed the order:

Code:
        title		Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-virtual 
        root		(hd0,0)
        kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-virtual root=UUID=6a03aef4-d6dd-4d0f-b0d4-b9624ec2bec3 ro quiet splash
        initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-virtual
        quiet
        I wonder if I should delete the virtual entries entirely.

mhumm2

Comment

Re: SOVED Kubuntu Trying to Boot to a Virtual Kernel

It's harmless when not booted.

Comment

Working...
          X