X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installs, but wont boot?

In Reply #2, he says:
    "yes, its the only os. but i don't remember seeing an option of where to instal grub. oh, i forgot to mention that when i put the hdd into another computer it boots fine."

Which says that GRUB did get installed to the MBR.
    I was thinking that he could reinstall GRUB just to see if that will make it go
    (with: root -- setup -- quit at Konsole)
    But, as I say, GRUB seems to be in-place and recognized even by another PC/BIOS.

GParted Live CD will mark the partition with a boot flag:
    In GParetd Live CD
    Highlight the partition
    Partition tab at the top
    Flags
    Boot

btw,
    To re-set GRUB (to the MBR):
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    (look for root-setup-quit under re-installing GRUB)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Installs, but wont boot?

ok i did it

first i installed kubuntu using the partitioning scheme as i outlined above (the fat32 partition was 800MB the min size for win2k).

i then used the first tutorial posted by Qqmike to copy the grub loader from the mbr to a file and then to a flash drive.

i installed win2k to the fat32 partition (now ntfs) and added the grub loader to the c: drive and boot.ini as the default os. i then erased the "documents and settings", "program files" and "
      winnt" folders. i then shrank the partition to about 8MB because the total files on it after that were less than 1MB total. so now the windows bootloader loads up only to load the linux bootloader.

thanks to everyone for all your help!

EDIT: for those wondering, the computer is a Sony VAIO pcv-220 266MHz proc. 384MB ram and xp home (when I got it)

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Installs, but wont boot?

Wow, way cool, ZHoob2004. Neat to see this actually done by someone. It's a good example, too, where "operator skill" is in play--that would be YOURs, ZHoob2004!

Thanks for posting your result. Nice piece of work.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X