This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Installs, but wont boot?

I recently installed kubuntu the first time on an old computer of mine. it installed fine, said nothing of system reqs, or anything and installed the bootloader etc. after the install completed and the computer restarted (cd removed etc.) the computer booted up and said no boot record found on the hdd. I am wondering if this could be a bios problem that it's not compatible with linux and would there be some workaround (ie: to use a dos/windows bootloader to load linux?)

Any help would be really appreciated.

Re: Installs, but wont boot?

When you installed, where did you tell it to install grub? I'm assuming that the HD you installed to doesn't have any other OS than Kubuntu. Is that correct?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes, its the only os. but i don't remember seeing an option of where to instal grub. oh, i forgot to mention that when i put the hdd into another computer it boots fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ZHoob2004
        when i put the hdd into another computer it boots fine.
        Into Kubuntu?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes

Comment

Super GRUB Disk will probably boot it for you. You'll have to use the CD drive each time to do so, of course.
            Experiment?
            http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

would i be able to install the windows bootloader, have a seperate boot partition, and use the windows one to open grub from there?

Comment

Don't know. I've never booted Linux from Windows, but people do it.
                Here's my stash on that (though, you probably have seen much of this):

Boot Linux from Windows
                http://www.vsubhash.com/writeups/multiboot_os.asp
                He’s a Windows guy, getting NTLDR to load Linux; if you dump Linux, easy to reverse.
                Moral Volcano: Multi-boot OSs.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p9.html
                “This webpage is to explain how I set up boot.ini in Windows and install WinGrub to boot either Windows via its own bootloader NTLDR or Linux via WinGrub, without touching the MBR.”

Ed’s Software Guide on Linux:
                http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html

Technique is clearly described in Chapter 4 of Linux in a Nutshell.
                Chapter 4 happens to be the freely downloadable sample chapter.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

thank you very much. i don't have time to try it right now but i'll be saving those links for future use.

Comment

If you have a floppy drive, you could try SmartBootManager

http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

It's pretty good - though not entirely sure if it will work for what you want.
                    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

ok. those links by Qqmike were just what i needed. second question: could i install windows 2000 onto a partition, then delete the windows folder and resize the partition just so it can boot linux?

Comment

What partitions are on there at the moment?

If you paste sudo blkid into a terminal/console and give it your password, it will tell precisely.

Comment

i am currently planning to partition it as follows:

sda1 = windows 2k partition (as small as possible) i wish to use it's boot loader and that's it.
                          sda2 = linux root partition (with grub installed as boot loader) (as large as possible)
                          sda3 = swap space (512MB)

Comment

question

Can you not do the partitioning first, before installing all the OSs?

That is, use GParted Live CD to delete all partitions, create new ones, then run the 2k installation (putting it into the first partition), then the Kubuntu installer?

Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
                            GParted how-to: http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

Comment

Originally posted by ZHoob2004
                              the computer booted up and said no boot record found on the hdd.
                              There are a few places you can install grub.

Normally, people install it to the Master Boot Record (MBR) - this should always work

Sometimes it's installed to the 'superblock' of the boot partition (usually same as the root partition). The partition then needs to be marked as bootable (only one partition can be such). Most partitioning tools can do this, and it's never a destructive option.

So try booting the liveCD, going into GParted, and making your Linux partition bootable.

And in answer to Qqmike's last question, yes you can do that. However you then need to make sure you choose manual partitioning in the installer, and make it use your existing partitions.
                              Also, you should in general install Windows first if you want a dual-boot system. If you install Linux then Windows Windows will clobber the bootloader with it's own and you'll be unable to boot Linux until you configure it. Most Linux installers should recognise Windows partitions and add Grub entries for them.
                              I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
                              X