This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Installation with no keyboard at boot

My problem is simple enough - I want to install Hardy on a machine with Gutsy. Due to various issues I want to do a clean install.

However, I have the slight snag that I have a USB keyboard on a computer where the BIOS doesn't support it. Meaning that I cannot use the keyboard untill Linux is booted. So it won't work at the CDROM boot screen.

IIRC, the *buntu CDs default to booting the hard disc? Correct me if I'm wrong.

In any case, any ideas for ways to install?
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Re: Installation with no keyboard at boot

I'm pretty sure that it will boot the CD if it's left.

I'll just try it....

Comment

The question is only whether the BIOS is set to boot the CD first -- there's no such thing as a Linux default. If the BIOS tries to boot the CD first, and if the optical drive can read the CD correctly, then poof you've got Linux running.

And your hard drive will NOT be mounted, btw --

Comment

Ah, a quick check of the installation guide seems to concur you are correct for the desktop install. Normally I use the alternate, but that's just habit, I've no real reason for doing so. So I'll download the desktop install and see how it goes.

And I _hope_ the CD is set to boot first. Otherwise I'm really screwed.
        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

It is to desktop.

allowing for BIOS.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Installation with no keyboard at boot

Indeed, it worked just fine, I'm now on Ubuntu Hardy (yes, Gnome, since that's what my mum is used to; this is her computer)

Comment

Working...
            X