This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu to Ubuntu -- SOLVED

I have run Kubuntu (KDE) for a while now and would like to try Ubuntu (Gnome) on occasion. I like Kubuntu and would like to be able to use whichever I prefer at the time. Is it possible to set up both? If so, how?

Re: Kubuntu to Ubuntu

If you fire up Adept and put in the search bar: gnome-desktop you can install it with whatever else you think you may need, but i have a feeling that i read somewhere here that running the two together (KDE & Gnome) may well cause problems....

Comment

Desktops, KDE Gnome, How to correctly install:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205002

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Running the two together does cause problems. For one, both KDE and Gnome apps are scattered around. I, personally, had a splash screen battle. Kubuntu and Ubuntu apparently "fought" over which splash screen would be used.

If you're dual-booting already, I'd recommend installing Ubuntu on an external, especially if you have Vista. (Vista doesn't like more than 4 partitions). If Kubuntu is your only OS, then simply install Ubuntu on a separate partition.
        Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Re: Kubuntu to Ubuntu --- SOLVED

Thanks to all who replied! I am not sure that I want to dual boot but, I will follow the advice given and stick with one or the other.

Comment

Working...
          X