This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Install Problem

Long time user. Putting Kubuntu on new machine with 500GB HD.

Burned the iso Kubuntu-kde4 8.0.iso
    Selected language, city and now I'm on step 4 of 6 - Prepare partitions

No matter what choic I select I get the error No Root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu. The choice I have are:
    New partition table - press enter nothing happens; click forward error msg
    New partition - same as above
    Edit partition - same as above
    Delete partition - same as above
    Undo changes to partition - I should just reboot endless loop

How am I suppose to set up the partitions?

Re: Kubuntu Install Problem

In formatting your disk you have some choices: guided - various types and manual.
    Manual give you maximum control and I suspect that's what you have chosen. I always use manual.

The minimum number of partitions you will need is two; one for root with the mount point /, and swap.
    It is a very good idea to at least have /home on a separate partition. Depending on the use, you may want to put other things on their own partitions.

One you choose the size and format of the partitions, you need to select the file system type and mount point (except for swap), for each partition, then proceed to format the partitions, unless you are using an existing /home. Note: root will be formatted, as it is used to install the system.

If you want detailed instructions the debian installation guide is very good.
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

Here is a good Kubuntu article
    http://whoiam55.at.preempted.net/?p=18

HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I had that problem once -- it was a bad CD burn. You might have a coaster there. :P

Comment

Assuming it is not what dibl says,
        there is a drop-down menu there in Step5 (somewhere), where you can use a selected (and Edit) partition as ... / . Sometimes you have to go back and forth a time or two making sure all partitions are made and designated (as swap, root /, and home).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for replies. We can close the thread. I had to change the configuration in the bios to use SATA AHCI. It then saw the drive and I was able to configure it.

Comment

Working...
          X