This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot screen annoyance

I'm not exactly sure where this should go, but I've noticed when the splash screen(?) comes up (the screen with the Kubuntu logo and the loading bar), the screen becomes all glitchy for a split second. This isn't a major issue, but it is an annoyance. Is there any way to fix this?

In case you need to know this, my gfx driver is an "intel" driver.
    Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Re: Boot screen annoyance

Under Vista, what is your Graphics-card?
    You say 'Intel', but, what is it?
    Either nVidia or ATI??
    IF it is ATI, the 'gitchy behaviour' is understandable since ATI DOES NOT 'fully support' any/all Linux OS system.
    If it is nVidia, being a Sony Vaio laptop, the Graphics (on-board) may to too new......for Linux to cope with, reverting back to 'out-dated drivers'. (nVidia, however DOES 'support' Linux OSs. You may have to revert back.....to an even older driver....to get your Graphics to work properly..without the 'glitch'.)
    The Sony Vaio is a nice rig, but, in trying to use it as a 'Dual-Boot System'....you didn't do enough 'homework' (research)...on it's abilities.....to handle Linux (or not).
    Run this program "Everest Home Edition" (under Vista).....to see what your Graphics-card really is?
    It's a 'freebie' System Info Program, should work under Vista. (Might work under Linux....using "WINE".)
    I use it....to check out any/all computers I have to work on.......to find out 'what's under the bonnet'....without opening it up.
    It contains Blue 'Link-lines'..........to help in upgrading Drivers.
    From what I've been reading (in this Forum, and in other places).........is that Sony Vaio (with a mix of Vista and Linux) tend to have more than it's 'fair share' of problems.....in working as a Dual-Boot System.
    Some times, the only thing you (anyone) can do, is.....to 'tinker/experiment'........to find out what DOES work properly.
    To do so...is at you own risk, mind.

Comment

My graphics card is an Intel 965 express chipset family. The "intel" driver is the only linux driver that will actually work (all others simply do not work) as far as I know. Although I have noticed when I boot into a live CD, this glitch does NOT happen...

My graphics card is integrated. Not nVidia OR ATI.
      Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

if you don't mind disabling splash screen entirely then boot with the option 'vga=normal'

Comment

Working...
        X