This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> Konqueror bookmarks file won't update

This baffles me. I'm trying to add to my Konqueror bookmarks. I keep getting an error message (has never happened before) which tell me that my attempt to access "bookmarks.xml" led to a "permission denied" problem. I just went there in a root level Konqueror instance and changed the permissions to allow "group" to read/write. Didn't do the trick. At this point I have NO more ideas. What can I do about this?

Re: Konqueror bookmarks file won't update

Check the ownership of bookmarks.xml (setting permissions for group doesn't do much good if ownership is root:root). You need to set ownership/group to your user)

Comment

Yeah, this is a puzzle to me. I found that giving "others" permission to write to the file fixes it - that and a reboot. I think maybe "group" doesn't include non-root people. It's only those root people. They're not like us. They got more power, them root people. I could be wrong, but it sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
        I found that giving "others" permission to write to the file fixes it - that and a reboot.
        That will work (although you shouldn't need to reboot), but giving everyone write access to your files is often not the optimal solution. You should change the ownership of the file rather than the permissions (basically everything in your home folder should be owned by your username and group set to your primary group...in kubuntu this is the same as your username). You can set ownership in the same konqueror dialog as permissions (CLI command for it is 'chown')

maybe "group" doesn't include non-root people.
        A group includes all users that have been added to it (and no, you don't want to add your user to the root group ).

A file (or directory) has ownership and permissions. Ownership determines which user and group the file belongs to, and permissions set rights relative to the user and group (and others) defined by ownership.

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; Konqueror bookmarks file won't update

Cool. Very helpful.

Some days I'm learning Linux all day long, and it just doesn't stop. Too bad I have other things to do.

Meanwhile, I will definitely use this information. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X