X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Safe Mode'

Hi.

I don't think this relates to Kubuntu but perhaps a hardware 'techie' could help me on this?

During the system boot-up I get the following warning message after the drives etc have been detected:

'Warning. Now system in safe mode
    Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup'

(the bad English is how it displays )

You then get the options to 'continue' or to enter CMOS. I had a look in CMOS once but could not see a problem (but I don't really know what I'm looking for!) so I reset the 'Optimised Default Settings' and carried on. The warning still comes up so now I just 'continue'.

Any ideas, hints or tips would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: 'Safe Mode'

You're right -- that is your BIOS puking out a problem report, before it boots the OS, so it's not related to Kubuntu.

It appears to be related to the CPU frequency setup. You need to find, perhaps with Google's help, some documentation on your computer's motherboard and BIOS, and figure out the correct combination of FSB, clock divider, and memory speed settings, to get a stable CPU speed. Maybe someone previously was trying to set up an overclocking speed on that computer.

It also could be that there is a problem with the memory, which leads to the problem with the CPU/FSB settings. So running memtest86 overnight would not be a bad idea, either.

Good luck with it!

Comment

You might try replacing the battery on the motherboard. Could be the CMOS is not holding it's settings when the computer is turned off.

Comment

Thanks Detonate. I have replaced the battery in the last couple of months which is the second time in as many years - which is odd in itself I think. I will try Dibl's 'google it' idea and meanwhile try another battery. I might have had a dud!

Cheers Guys.

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Working...
        X