This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between 64-bit and 32-bit [Solved]

I have a 64-bit motherboard intel and since I am still new at this, I installed the 32-bit kubuntu.
    Now I have the Installation disc in my hands and I was wondering what is the difference between the 32-bit Kubuntu installation and the 64-bit
    Are there any advantages? more speed? better compatibility?

Re: Difference between 64-bit and 32-bit

I run 64-bit on an Intel motherboard. Other than bragging rights, and the ability to use 4GB or more of memory, the only real (i.e. observable) performance difference will come when there are 64-bit packages to run on it.

Comment

Re: Difference between 64-bit and 32-bit

I've tested both 32 and 64 bit versions of kubuntu. The difference in terms of speed was very big. Specifically, when I had the 32 bit of kubuntu the monitor showed my processors working 30% when the computer was idle. However, when I changed to 64 bits, my processors were used about 5-10% when my pc was idle, making it a lot faster.

The only drawback that I can think of is that some packages (.deb) that you download manually (without a package manager) are designed for 32 bit processors. However you can easily overcome this by forcing the installation. This is supposed to be a bit risky, but it has worked fine for me so far.

So clearly I would strongly recommend you to install 64 bits.

Comment

Re: Difference between 64-bit and 32-bit [Solved]

Thank you.

I will install the 64-bit version on my pc and will monitor the differences on it.

Comment

Working...
        X