This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which 8.04 ISO for laptop install?

Just ordered an Acer Extensa EX5620-4020. Nice little package. Saw a review that a guy had loaded Linux (Ubuntu) on it and it took right off. So I am going to load it up for my son going off to school in a couple weeks.

Question;
    I have the kubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso which I loaded on my personal machine. Will this ISO work on the ACER laptop or do I have to install with an "alternate" ISO?

Maybe I should have posted in the "Help the Newbie" forum. Sorry if this should have been covered there.

But thanks!

tje
    Lead by example, but be an example worth following.

Re: Which 8.04 ISO for laptop install?

That one will work. The main difference between that one and the Alternate Install is that the other one does not offer a GUI desktop, but rather is a character-mode installer.

Comment

I'd urge you to get a live CD first and try it out on the laptop. Check for wireless support especially and integrated webcam if it has one and in some laptops you get a kernel panic when you try and install the OS. Might be a good idea to google the laptop model and K(U)buntu for hardware compatibility.

Comment

Yep, I concur with assettt -- make a Live CD and spend 20 minutes checking all features of sound, video, wireless, browsing, networking, keyboard layouts, etc. Then you won't have to wonder whether Kubuntu will work on your hardware, if there's some problem after you install.

Comment

But if the LiveCD does not work with some feature/hardware or other, it's not the end of the world!! Specifics will be useful however, if something doesn't work.

I'm glad I didn't give up when the Gutsy Live CD, and Hardy for that matter, didn't work with my wifi card. Even with strange hardware, there's usually an answer.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490
            But if the LiveCD does not work with some feature/hardware or other, it's not the end of the world!! Specifics will be useful however, if something doesn't work.

I'm glad I didn't give up when the Gutsy Live CD, and Hardy for that matter, didn't work with my wifi card. Even with strange hardware, there's usually an answer.
            Very true. With my laptop 8.04Live Cd runs fine but I had kernel panic when trying to install 8.04 but had no problem installing 7.10 and then upgrading to 8.04.

Comment

Working...
            X