X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another guy with a screen resolution problem

Kubuntu 8.04 KDM 3
    After initial install everything was OK, then I just checked the video settings, did not change anything and suddenly after reboot, I had a 640x480 screen and could not alter that.
    Tried the following
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
    sudo reboot

and yes, great. My screendriver now shows a nice picture of a monitor and I can alter the resolution.
    But... after I switch off the computer and switch it back on, everything starts again: screen at 640x480 and I cannot change it, so:
    sudo dpkg etc as above and it works. But then when I switch off and on teh same problem

It just seems as if my configuration is not saved.
    Anybody a suggestion??

Re: Yet another guy with a screen resolution problem

Graphics chip?

Monitor make and model?

/etc/X11/xorg.conf -- last 4 stanzas?

Comment

Hi Thanks
      My graphics chip is an intel 965. Apparently the driver that Kubuntu uses is an i810. The monitor is a brandless generic monitor. This setting has worked.

With regard to the xorg.conf file I noticed something odd. After I rebootet and found my screen to be back at 640x480, I reconfigured the xorg file and I saved a copy of both the old file that had worked till the reboot and a copy of the new file that was the result of the reconfigure and also worked (until the next reboot. They had a significant difference:

OK: first the previous xconf file that worked till reboot:
      ----------------------------
      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      Boardname "Intel 965"
      Busid "PCI:0:2:0"
      Driver "i810"
      Screen 0
      Vendorname "Intel"
      EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Configured Monitor"
      Vendorname "Plug 'n' Play"
      Modelname "Plug 'n' Play"
        modeline  "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
      Gamma 1.0
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Default Screen"
      Monitor "Configured Monitor"
      Device "Configured Video Device"
      Defaultdepth 24
      SubSection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Virtual 640 480
      Modes "640x480@60"
      EndSubSection
      EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Default Layout"
        screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
      EndSection
      Section "Module"
      Load "glx"
      Load "GLcore"
      Load "dri"
      Load "v4l"
      EndSection
      Section "ServerFlags"
      EndSection
      --------------------------------------------------------

Now the file that was the result of the most recent reconfig I had to do after a new start and that also works (till next reboot I guess)
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Configured Monitor"
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Default Screen"
      Monitor "Configured Monitor"
      Device "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Default Layout"
      Screen "Default Screen"
      EndSection
      ------------------------------------------
      Quite a difference but mind you both apparently do their job as long as I do not switch off the computer. As you van understand I am baffled and would be grateful for any tips. Maybe I best do a complete new install but that is why I left windows XP in the first place and I fear the problem might surface again.

-----------------
      Just one other remark. I said that the first file I posted worked. Well, actually I do not know that for sure, coz I only looked at this file after my reboot (when I got the 640x480 unchangable screen size) and reconfiguration, so for all I know this file is a non-working file that kubuntu puts on it while I am booting, replacing a previous file that did work.

Comment

This is the second post I've seen lately that indicates that the "i810" driver is being automatically set up by Hardy Heron. AFAIK that driver is obsolete, superseded with the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver. So I dunno what's going on with these systems and 8.04.

If I were you, I would take that first xorg.conf file, change the driver name to "intel" and try it that way. Even if it only displays 640x480 at first, it may enable you to adjust the resolution in "system settings".

Comment

Thank you for your reply. During my searches for a solution I have gotten a bit suspicious about that i810 driver as well as I came across it a bit too often whenever there was a problem. Tried your proposal and unfortunately no effect.

As I was getting quite fed-up with having to execute the reconfigure commands every time I started my computer, I installed KDE4 and (coutiously) it seems as if the problem has gone away.
          Keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay away.
          Thank you for your time and effort. I appreciate it.

Regards
          Ed

Comment

Working...
          X