Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 8.04.1 64 bit aborts to CLI or just plain hangs.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04.1 64 bit aborts to CLI or just plain hangs.

I downloaded the .ISO for the 64-bit Live DVD of Kubuntu 8.04.1, and verified it by calculating its MD5. It was what it was supposed to be, so the download was error-free. I burned it to a DVD.

It doesn't work. If I do nothing & let the timer run out, the system hangs with a blank screen. If I select "Try Kubuntu without any change to your computer" I eventually get this:

"BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs)"

And that's where it stops.

I also tried pressing F6 at the initial menu, and getting rid of the "quiet splash" option so I could see what was going on. Most of it flashed by too quickly to read, but I keep seeing "couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint." That was the last line when it locked up completely, or at least was taking so long that I decided it wasn't going to finish booting.

Is there any way to get 8.04.1 64 bit to work, or is it simply faulty? The 32-bit version worked fine on an older machine (Athlon XP 3200+).

I don't know whether it matters, but here's the hardware on the 64 bit machine:
    Asus P5E3 WS Pro motherboard
    4 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 processor
    NVidia 9800GTX video card
    Samsung SATA2 1TB HDD (on SATA port 1)
    Lite-On DVD-RW drive (master on the one and only IDE channel)
    Samsung 3.5" 1.44MB diskette drive
    700W power supply (so it's definitely not a problem with too little power, which can cause instability).

The motherboard's BIOS settings are all at the defaults, except the boot order.

Also, the "Check CD for defects" option does nothing. Again, I see the loading splash screen for a bit, then am left at the same command line detailed above.

I suppose it's possible the DVD could still have defects, but I've never had that problem before. I burned Live DVDs for Kubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, and 8.04.1 at the highest speed possible, and those all worked fine.

Re: Kubuntu 8.04.1 64 bit aborts to CLI or just plain hangs.

When the Kubuntu splash comes on hit alt->f1 so you can see the messages this might tell us what is going on.

[mad]Berry
    Check out my website with Kubuntu how to's:  madberry.org

Comment

It's almost a sure bet that your problem is your video card (NVidia 9800GTX). Use the option to boot using Safe Graphics (VESA) and see if you get further along (also removing he quiet and splash options as before). If this works, you will have to get the proper drivers for your video card afterwards.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

At that point I always advice EnvyNG.

Code:
        sudo apt-get install envyng-qt
        then run it in the terminal your in like this:

Code:
        sudo envyng -t
        Choose to have Envy install the Nvidia drivers for you this will install the right Nividia proprietary driver for your card.

[mad]Berry
        Check out my website with Kubuntu how to's:  madberry.org

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          It's almost a sure bet that your problem is your video card (NVidia 9800GTX). Use the option to boot using Safe Graphics (VESA) and see if you get further along (also removing he quiet and splash options as before). If this works, you will have to get the proper drivers for your video card afterwards.
          No, that didn't work either. I still get left at the (initramfs) prompt, with the system trying over and over again in vain to do stuff. Most of it looks like this:

Code:
          [ 246.49993] /build/buildd/linux-2.6.24/drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: couldn't find an interrupt endpoint
          It's doing that right now, and it keeps repeating the same line, with the number on the left (presumably some kind of timer, yes?) incrementing with each line. Eventually it moves on to something else with equal lack of success.

With the "quiet" and "splash" turned off, I see lots more errors before it eventually starts displaying what I show above. A lot of them seem to have to do with the hard disk and floppy drive. Why would the floppy drive (fd0) be a factor? The errors look like this:
          Code:
          [ 246.44435] end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
          There's absolutely nothing weird about my USB setup, so I don't know why it's having a problem there. The only USB thing connected is a Logitech MX310 mouse. The keyboard is connected to the PS/2 port (for some reason, ASUS put only one PS/2 port on the motherboard).

Comment

PS/2 keyboard? Hmm. Try checking your BIOS for a setting (something like) "USB Legacy Support" and if it exists and is enabled, disable it, save, and reboot.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, that didn't work either.

However, Xubuntu 7.04 (32 bit version) works just fine, without messing with any BIOS settings. But I don't want to install Xubuntu, I want Kubuntu. If I can't have Kubuntu I guess I'll have to pick another distro.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the DVD ISOs -- it's an awful lot of data that has to be bit-perfect on the media to run correctly and install correctly. And, OBTW, that's not a re-writable DVD is it? Because those are known not to work, usually.

Before you give up on Kubuntu, why not try a Live CD? Booting the Live CD and using it for 10 minutes to explore things like sound, browsing, and video will let you prove that, at least in one configuration, your hardware is all supported.

Then, if you install it and have issues, at least we can know that there does exist a combination of configuration settings that will run on your hardware, and all we have to do is figure out the correct combination. As opposed to wondering if your hardware is supported at all, which is where I am at the moment.

Comment

No, just a plain DVD-R.

It's possible there was some error in burning, though I've never had that problem before. I hate to waste another DVD-R but burning one at slow speed, say 2x, may be the solution.

Update: I burned the 8.04.1 Live DVD again really slow, at 2x, to be absolutely sure ther were no errors. Same result. I used "Safe Graphics" mode and turned off Legacy USB support in my BIOS, but got exactly the same litany of errors as before.

Comment

Working...
                  X