Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed Kubuntu but PC boots straight into Windows.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installed Kubuntu but PC boots straight into Windows.

Just to toss in one more little annoyance ....

You can safely view the IDE drives as "grub magnets" on this mix, wrt the Kubuntu installer. In other words, it may not be possible to induce the installer to place grub on a SATA drive, in this situation. There are two ways to work around it:

1. Pull the power connectors off the IDE drives until you're done installing Kubuntu and installing grub on the SATA drive's mbr, (thus causing a royal mixup of drive ID numbers, after you reconnect the IDE drives and boot your OS), or

2. Move the grub installation to the SATA drive afterwards, using Mike's excellent tutorial for guidance.

Personally, having a somewhat similar situation, I have learned to be content with grub installed on the IDE drive, even though both Linux OS's are on SATA drives in my system.

Comment

I was under the impression that all drives where considered scsi by kubuntu, so ATA and SATA are the same thing, i.e., both drivers are in the kernel and are transparent in /dev, no.

As far as the chain position as mike mentioned, I'm under the impression the chain follows physical location along the controller.

occording to the mobo manual -- two sata and two ide ata controllers. what a bankroll, all positions -1 are populated. 4 possible sata + 4 possible ide - 1 cd = 7 drives + cd possible. username says 6 drives + cd . is the cd a sata dvd writer? i assume not since 3 ide drives are mentioned

screetch - the sound of breaks
      in the mobo's bios you can change the priority of the drive,
      ***EDIT*** As well as boot order
      it's possible to have the sata dev 4 can be #1 and ide secondary salve slave can be two, then it's to speculative to call - nice mobo, wish i had some cash!

without input from username it appears this is becoming academic, fun though
      - kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

I have six hard drives, two CD drives (IDE) and one floppy disk drive. One of the (three) IDE drives is attached via a PCI card which gives two additional IDE ports (of which I'm using only one).

I will mess around in the BIOS to see if I can find the settings you're referring to, OldManTeaBags. I'm not sure the motherboard is all that great. Mine is over three years old already and decent processors are expensive.

Edit:

Okay, I've been in the BIOS. It's possible to change the boot order and what it calls "PIO" settings for the IDE drives:

"The four IDE PIO fields let you set a PIO mode (0-4) for each of the IDE drives that the onboard IDE interface supports. Modes 0 through 4 provide successively increased performance. In [AUTO] mode, the system automatically determines the best mode for each device."

So now what should I do?
        Win XP Pro SP3 / Kubuntu 8.04<br />MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum (model MS-7100) / BIOS - 3.0 - / PCB version - 3.00 -<br />64-bit Athlon 3200+<br />2x1024 Mb Corsair Value RAM PC3200<br />Leadtek 128Mb 6600GT PCIe Graphics Card / Integrated Creative 24-bit SoundBlaster Sound Card

Comment

Working...
        X