X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to port an Kubuntu 8 and KDE4 anvironment to another computer

Hi,
    I have build an environment based on Kubuntu 8 and KDE 4 on an old obsoleted computer. The system is very good and now I would like to created a ISO image on a CD and port it to a new quad computer.

What is the best method to port a complete environment from one computer to another!? Please, advise!

Thanks in advance

Goran

Re: how to port an Kubuntu 8 and KDE4 anvironment to another computer

It sounds like you want to do a "ghosting"-like process. I suspect that if the source computer and the target computer are really very different hardware platforms, that there may be significant problems. Things like motherboard chipsets, IDE vs. SATA, video cards could cause problems if the drivers and other modules for the target system are not present in the ghost image. In that case, it might be easier to simply do an install to the new system.

Of course that ASSUMES that the "obsolete" and new systems are really very different configurations. But, you know what they say about "assume".

There is a "Ghost for Linux" or "linux ghost", something like that which might be what you're looking for.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Well, you can "remaster" your very own kubuntu. Remastersys is a program which will take what is on your computer and pack it on an installable live CD (all apart from the home directory, but that can be customised). For more info have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remastersys
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Remastersys is the way to go I've written an how to:

http://madberry.org/2008/07/remastersys/

[mad]Berry
        Check out my website with Kubuntu how to's:  madberry.org

Comment

Good work, madberry! Although the klikit linux wiki and forum is a good resource, too, your howto is pretty comprehensive
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Goran@aim

I have build an environment based on Kubuntu 8 and KDE 4 on an old obsoleted computer. The system is very good and now I would like to created a ISO image on a CD and port it to a new quad computer.
            I will point out a couple of disadvantages, just in case you didn't think of them already:

1. Probably you are porting a 32-bit installation to a 64-bit platform.

2. Probably you are porting wrong driver, networking, and video setups to the new system.

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out, dibl. Remastersys won't be able to port from 32 to 64 bit.

The other stuff you mentioned, however, should be no problem.

Comment

Thanks for your advices and comments!

my main issue was really how to create an installation CD based on my current environment...... I don't want to redo all manual installation/updating work on the new PC.

I'll inform you all on route taken!

// Goran

PS More good advices on the subject are always welcome DS

Comment

If you can be satisfied to preserve the list of installed packages on your old system, so you can install the same ones on your new system, maybe this is a way to go:

http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Hi all,

I have been recommended to make a tar file of my installed packages, and then download the latast kububntu and KDE environments. Un-pack my tar.. restart, and my old env. is re-build!

A feasible method? any comments.........

Comment

As for simplicity, I can only reiterate

Originally posted by madberry
                      Remastersys is the way to go I've written an how to:

http://madberry.org/2008/07/remastersys/

[mad]Berry
                      As for learning about the system, your other suggestion is perfect. You will learn about packaging. One thing to bear in mind:
                      Make sure all your *.deb files are there, if you have done a "sudo apt-get clean" since you first installed your system, the list will be incomplete.
                      Of course there is your /home directory to consider, but that is straight forward.

Another option (if you have decent broadband access) is to just make a package list and on first install on your new system you play that in with dpkg.

HTH

Comment

Thanks,

I'll keep you informed.....

It is strange for me that a "Golden Image" capability is missing in Linux. More people than me must have the need for several computers with the same configuration.

I need a Master Boot CD, to be used. Possible adapted to one specific HW platform....

// Goran

Comment

Who says it is lacking? With dd, partimage, remastersys, countless other remastering scripts and programmes such uck or reconstructor there is the right tool for just about every job.

In linux, you can do everything from the command line. It is your choice to go for the pre-packaged tool or explore yourself. In your case the right tool has been pointed out by at least two different individuals and you were told about other possibilities as well.

The choice is yours - and yes, "the Golden image" capability is there and has repeatedly been hinted at.

All you have to do is open your eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Goran@aim
                            Hi,
                            What is the best method to port a complete environment from one computer to another!? Please, advise!
                            Thanks in advance
                            Goran
                            I wonder why you say you would need a ISO image on a CD. This seems to be a much harder way than just physically remove the hard disk in your obsoleted computer and plug it into your new system, finally, boot your new computer with the old hard disk...

You don't need to worry about the hardware difference, only the driver of the display adapter need to be updated, everything else should work.

if you want to copy your system in the old hard disk to your new hard disk. This can be done with: put both old disk and new disk in your new computer, boot the computer with any of the ubuntu live cd, then use the command line to copy from one to another...

Comment

I think if I were preparing to set up more than two identical computers with *buntu, I would install the "OEM" configuration, for the first one, configure the video and sound and all of that, and then image that hard drive, and use that image on the other machines, so they have the same setup. Then the new users can give themselves their passwords when they first log on.

Comment

Working...
                              X