This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ugrade hangs at Generating locales

at 74% and 14 mins remaining, my upgrade from feisty to hardy seems to hung at generating locales: en_AU-UTF-8...
    going to bed. will check in a.m.
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Re: ugrade hangs at Generating locales

Originally posted by bootdoc
    at 74% and 14 mins remaining, my upgrade from feisty to hardy seems to hung at generating locales: en_AU-UTF-8...
    going to bed. will check in a.m.
    That's exactly where mine hung, so i eventually killed the upgrade.
    It had buggered-up the install so i booted into safe mode, and it asked me if i'd like to do a dpkg run, so i of course clicked 'yes', and off it went.... until it reached the same spot again.

There do seem to be problems with up-grading, the alternate cd doesn't work for me either, it gets part of the way through, has trouble retrieving something, then returns the install to the previous state.

I tried that particular scenario four times early this morning, then gave it up as a Bad Job.

Edited to add:

I've reported the problem at Launchpad.

Comment

thanks,
      I'll try installing from usb stick.

Comment

I've only now noticed you have Feisty - i'm pretty sure that it's necessary to go to Gutsy first, then Hardy.

I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade via the 8.04 desktop .iso, as it will possibly be a while before the bugs/problems are sorted out.

I thought it odd that i was presented with three choices on the login screen; Previous, Default (KDE) or Safe modes, no mention of the new desktop, i've just checked Apt, and there is no trace of kde4 on the system.... i can't say that i'm disappointed, though.

Comment

My mistake, I was on gutsy. Forgot . Just finished installing hardy from usb stick. everything is good so far.

What happend to the user management in system settings (kde3.5.x and kde4). Had to adduser via konsole . WUWT!

Comment

I had the same problem on one of my servers. Solved the problem by removing locales then dpkg-ing the rest of the upgrade. After dpkg was done i reinstalled locales and the system is stable again.....

[mad]Berry
            Check out my website with Kubuntu how to's:  madberry.org

Comment

By simply not upgrading locales? or locales and belocs-locale-bin?

Comment

I apologise for the double post
                I tried not up-grading Locales, but it broke again.

I'll stick with Gutsy.

Comment

Working...
                X