X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Screen of Death, well, sort of...

Hi

I'm brand new on this forum and you probably have guessed it, brand new to Kubuntu which I installed yesterday on my secondary computer, a Mac mini (PPC, G4, 1.42GHz with 1 Gb of RAM).

The install went relatively well except I lost my Tiger install during the process. Somehow, I had hoped that wouldn't happen but what the hell.

I spent all day trying to add some softwares and change some settings. I was experiencing some difficulties with some of the settings but heck after 16 years of Windoze and 30 months of OSX, I sort of expected that.

What I didn't expect though is finding myself with a blue screen upon rebooting the machine. And that's almost a BSOD, as all I can see is a blue screen and believe it or not, Akregator that opens as if it was a normal session. Besides that, I see nothing. No K menu, no panel, no clock, no trash can.

The liveCD from which I installed does work but I fail to see what I can do with it. I have tried to load a previous session but whatever I do, I get the same results.

Can someone please help me ?

Re: Blue Screen of Death, well, sort of...

Are you trying to use a cordless Keyboard/mouse combo...when you try using Kubuntu?
    Plainly, don't.
    Use a PS2 type, instead. (At least, to start with.)

You lost your "Tiger", I asume this is the MAC OS version you are using on your 'secondary computer'. (No wonder you lost it, Kubuntu took over your entire Hard-drive...to install itself, that's why you lost your 'Tiger'.
    Before installing Kubuntu (or, any other Linux OS).....you were warned....to 'back-up your Existing OS'.
    It is obvious that your computer may not have enough 'space'...on the hard-drive....to acommodate the Linux installation......which is 'why' your MAC was over-written, and 'lost'.

To illustrate........my computer has 2 hard-drives.
    1/ (250 Gig)...........for my XP Pro OS.
    2/ (250 Gig)...........For my Kubuntu OS.

I installed Kubuntu via the "Install within Windows" option..off the "Live CD".
    (Unfortunately, you are using a MAC OS...can't advise you there ...on what to do about that.)

Try installing Kubuntu ,again.
    ONLY, this time, trying installing VIA the MAC's BIOS 'set-up' (If you can do it this way).....with the 'Boot from CD' option 1st.

And remember the Password you use.......................this is the "Root Password' you will have to use.....for the "Administrative Mode".

Like Windows, even MAC, Linux needs ROOM....to work in, so if your hard-drive is already 45% FULL (MAC 'Tiger').....you definitely DO need another hard-drive!
    To put Linux..onto it.
    From what I read of your enquiry, i suspect...that this is the real cause..of why your Linux Installation won't work properly....losing 'Tiger" in the same process.

Have a good think about it, make the necessary upgrade then, re-install Kubuntu.

Comment

thanks for your answer

A Mac mini does not have a BIOS nor can it accept a second Hard drive. Loosing my Tiger install did not really bother me that much since this is not my primary machine ( I use Leopard on my main machine, a newer Mac mini).

Furthermore a 80 Gb hard drive (since my Tiger install got erased) should be more than enough to acomodate a Linux distro. I also have two external Hard Drives hooked up to my main computer.

I'm not using a wireless mouse nor a wireless keyboard. Before I started modifying a bunch of different settings, Kubuntu was working well. In fact, using a Live Cd I can still see my hda3 partiton that looks complete except I can't see any sign of life (Other than this Akregator) window), once I boot into the OS. I really think I messed up my display properties, trying to modify too many KDE/Gnome settings.

I guess I will have to reinstall but I was hoping for a way to ressucitate the apparent dead, before I did that....

Comment

I' m not at all familiar with the Mac but on an intel PC the dual booting is achieved via a boot manager, these days usually ' Grub'.

In case it' s the same on the Mac then have a search for restoring or repairing Grub (or the boot manager).

Comment

microfox: "Furthermore a 80 Gb hard drive (since my Tiger install got erased) should be more than enough to acomodate a Linux distro."

That's right.

Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by microfox

What I didn't expect though is finding myself with a blue screen upon rebooting the machine. And that's almost a BSOD, as all I can see is a blue screen and believe it or not, Akregator that opens as if it was a normal session. Besides that, I see nothing. No K menu, no panel, no clock, no trash can.
            The poster above me pointed you to a link where you can fix Grub. I doubt you lost your tiger, it just depends on what install option you choose - but the default option is to not erase anything, and just take extra space from other partitions. 80GB should be enough to accomodate Windows, "Tiger", and Linux. 25gb each is more than plenty.

Which Kubuntu install did you do? The standard 3.5.9, or the KDE4 remix?

Elaborate on this blue screen. You're saying Akregator opens as if normal.. so you actually go through the "Kubuntu" boot screen, and X starts properly.. ? Then what?

Comment

Working...
            X