This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade - grub lost - SOLVED

A computer that has been just idle for some months was fired up today. After some initial trouble I got HH back (mulit boot with W2000).

Then the large upgrade ... and it will not boot.

OK, into grub, check that (geometry (hd0) (hd1) etc.

hda = hd0 (data area)
    sda = hd1 (windows and /swap)
    sdb = hd2.

Then I do
    grub> root (hd2,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)

... and I get:

Code:
    checking if "/boot/grubstage1" exists ... no
    checking if "grub/stage1" exists ... no
    Error 15: File not found
    This PC will not boot the live CD, so I am a little lost now.

Re: Upgrade - grub lost

Either (hd2,0) is not the Kubuntu partition
    or
    the GRUB files are not in /boot/grub
    (or, stage_1 is missing from /boot/grub).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Boot it up, again.
      This time, through the BIOS 'set-up'.......(Boot Sequence......with 'Boot Off CD' 1st option.)
      Repair 'Grub'..
      (Or, re-install whole HH.!)
      Your choice.
      Reboot. (with BIOS set back to normal.)

Comment

hmmm ... interesting (?)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by cookie77
          Boot it up, again.
          This time, through the BIOS 'set-up'.......(Boot Sequence......with 'Boot Off CD' 1st option.)
          Repair 'Grub'..
          (Or, re-install whole HH.!)
          Your choice.
          Reboot. (with BIOS set back to normal.)
          The problem is - it will not boot from the CD

EDIT:

It will not run the Kubuntu install CD.

By playing with the BIOS and SCSI card settings I can:

a) start windows (sdb) - (Boot from EXTERNAL=SCSI and SCSI ID 4)
          b) start from diskette, use win98 fdisk and see the disks
          c) start from Ultimate Boot CD - (Boot set to CD) and start from HD2 -> Kubuntu but no graphical interface. Looks like I have lost my desktop.

That is, I can list is in /home/nils - but when I try cd /home/nils/Desktop - I get the message
          Code:
          No such file or directory.

Comment

There is something I don't understand, on one hand you say you can boot from the Ultimate Boot CD but on the other you can't boot from a Ubuntu CD?

Apparently your Bios does support 'Boot off CD'.

Seems to me your Ubuntu CD is damaged.

Comment

Good catch, Teunis.
              I was also wondering how the root-setup commands were run (in the first post).
              As Teunis suggests, you need to burn a new CD (at a slow speed), run MD5 checksum, check CD for defects.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                Good catch, Teunis.
                I was also wondering how the root-setup commands were run (in the first post).
                As Teunis suggests, you need to burn a new CD (at a slow speed), run MD5 checksum, check CD for defects.
                2 CDs - one new and the latest that have been used with success - both bad. Got it going with Knoppix live, so I probably will have to make a new download and disk as you say.

So what looked like a grub problem may be a file structure problem?

Comment

"So what looked like a grub problem may be a file structure problem?"

Good question.
                  Looks like both GRUB and a bad CD.

This is troubling:
                  checking if "/boot/grubstage1" exists ... no
                  checking if "grub/stage1" exists ... no
                  Error 15: File not found

as I mentioned in Reply #1:

Either (hd2,0) is not the Kubuntu partition
                  or
                  the GRUB files are not in /boot/grub
                  (or, stage_1 is missing from /boot/grub).

Comment

If you are sure about the partition Kubuntu is in, (hd2,0), and since this occurred after an update, if it's just a case that the grub files somehow got lost or not made, you might remember that the main GRUB “image” files should be here:
                    /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc.
                    You can get in there, copy (do NOT move them!) those files (under /i386-pc), make a /grub directory (as root) under /boot (so it's /boot/grub), and paste those several GRUB files under /boot/grub (as root). Either at Konsole or GUI (Konqueror) or combinations thereof. Then do your root – setup as you tried to do (when you got Error 15). That just might fix this, or at least get the boot menu back and working.

Comment

This will go as strange.

First, I discover that the old motherboard BIOS and the advanced Adaptec SCSI controller does make things that confuse Grub.

After some experimentation, I got back to where I got into Grub and the error 17 message.

Then I find that whatever I do, this PC will not boot the HH CD. I can boot Knoppix andPC Linux. Suse 10.3 Live just stops. And yes, I have tried the CD on another PC, and it is reported as just fine.

What I found hext was that the usual Grub routine did not change menu.lst file. By now I should have hd0,0.

So, using PC Linux, I could change that using a graphical editor, and all is now fine.

Sort of, but that's for another thread.

Thank you both for your patience and suggestions!

Comment

Re: Upgrade - grub lost - SOLVED

"What I found next was that the usual Grub routine did not change menu.lst file. By now I should have hd0,0."

... so, all along, the device name was wrong (as suggested in Reply #1)? It's not (hd2,0) but rather (hd0,0).

btw, to change menu.lst, you must do as you did manually -- the GRUB routine will not do that part of the work.

Comment

Re: Upgrade - grub lost - SOLVED

Originally posted by Qqmike

... so, all along, the device name was wrong (as suggested in Reply #1)? It's not (hd2,0) but rather (hd0,0).
                          Not quite. If i play with BIOS and the SCSI card settings, it will change how Grub see them in somewhat confusing ways.

btw, to change menu.lst, you must do as you did manually -- the GRUB routine will not do that part of the work.
                          Ah so.

Comment

Working...
                          X