This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing on a disk parition

Sorry, if this has been asked before but I really want to m,ake sure what I am doing before I start.

I am running a Q6600 with 2GbB memory and an NVidia 8800GT for graphics. I have 2 hard disks each divided into 2 patitions so it shows in windows as 4 disks. On one partition I have windows Vista and there is various data and things on the other three partition. So, my question is : -

Can I install from the installer disk I was able to run with installing straight onto the windows partition (termed drive c: in windows) or does it need a whole physical disk to install

Thanks for any help

Re: Installing on a disk parition

A standard installation will install to a newly created EXT3 partition. Normally, you will use the guided partition to reduce the size of the existing partition (containing Windows in your case) to make room for the new partition.

Comment

Thanks, Waylandbill, but I don'k I made this quite clear.

What I am hoping to do is to delete the windows partition and replace it with KBuntu but without damaging the other partition on the disk. Can this be done or do I have to move the data off the other partition first.

Comment

You can easily do that using GParted Live CD.
        (free download)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You will have to do a manual partition rather than a guided one as the guided assumes you are keeping Windows, but the answer is yes. You remove the windows partition and create a new one to hold the "/" partition. Keep in mind that you will be also required to allocate a swap partition when doing manual partition. If you had the Desktop install CD, you could sign on the Kubuntu IRC channel and ask for assistance during the installation process itself if you don't trust manually editting the partitions. As with any disk drive work backup unrecoverable data before hand. That can't be stressed enough.

Comment

Welcome to the party (trashing vista?)
            Just adding on to the above:
            gparted live cd:
            http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

there is also some great info on partitioning on that site.

Use the gparted live cd to:
            -delete windows partition and fromat as ext3.
            -depending on size resize a partition and add:
            -swap partition (max. 1gig)
            -a separate partition for /home (about 5-6 gigs) this is optional but very usefull

NOw use the kubuntu live cd -> installation and coose manual partitioning.
            -choose the partitions you made and format then mount them as:
            /
            /home
            accordingly.
            /swap will be seen automatically

At this stage. you can also mount all of your data partitions as something like:
            /Data1, /Data2, /Data3 (or whatever).

Continue with your installation and choose the defaults.

Enjoy
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys, I'm off to get the partitioning untility

Comment

Good luck and keep us posted
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                X