This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde desktop

I just installed the latest ver. of KDE but my system defaults to Gnome when booting. I missed a step somewhere. I can switch in terminal using kdesktop.

I should do what?

Re: kde desktop

When you are at the login screen, after typing in your password, don't hit enter. One of the icons opens up the session list, in which you should see KDE. Select it and then press Enter.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well if I reboot and get to the login screen I put in my user name and then the password is filled out. If I do not hit enter then it will not proceed with the login. All I have available is the gnome login screen and those two steps....

Comment

No where on your login screen do you have a Select Session...

Take a look at this (dated) post over on UbuntuForums: KDE, XFCE and GNOME from "Select Session..." on the splash screen.

Comment

Well strangely I think the problem might be that the boxes for filling in the name and password are not centered on the screen and ma be hiding the select session button....

How's that for odd?

There must be a way to have the boot go into KDE....rather than gnome.

Comment

Your login screen doesn't look something like this?
            Attached Files

Comment

My screen look plain, same color but only a dialog box for entering my user name and one for the password. Nothing like the one depicted in the last reply.

Comment

Well, hmmm..... lets try this:
                in gnome--->synaptic you can search for kdm and install that.
                Open up the details window and it will ask if you want to use kdm or gdm (gnome desktop / log in manager).
                Choose kdm and after install reboot.

You should see a session manager on your login screen, now choose kde and log in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

KDM is already installed. Tried to reinstall hoping it would lead me to that spot but no luck. Is there no file that can be modified that will load kdm on boot?

Comment

Try this:
                    Code:
                    sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
                    and choose kdm
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well I followed the instructions for choosing the kdm desktop and indeed it took me through the kde login screen. However after the boot was complete I'm still at the gnome desktop. If I go into terminal and invoke "kdesktop" I then have the KDE desktop loaded. Am I confused about the KDE desktop?

Comment

What about your sessions button

How did you install "the latest version" kde and which version? kde3.5.9 or kde4.1

Why not open up synaptic from kde and installing kdmthemes, kde-kdm-themes, kcontrol.

Now do alt+F2 ->kcontrol and go to administration and choose a different kdm theme and see if it gives you a sessions button.

There is a file that can be edited but I can't remember where.

Maybe you should change the title to Making kde (version) default without using the sessions button or something similar?

That will attract people more knowledgeable with the cli and editing files.

You could also reply to this thread:
                        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=752264

and ask if that works if you use the kdm / gdm login screen.
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by azray
                          My screen look plain, same color but only a dialog box for entering my user name and one for the password. Nothing like the one depicted in the last reply.
                          My EeePC's Ubuntu log in doesn't look like the screenshot either, the first screen just says 'Username'. However, on the bottom left is 'Options' next to a picture of 3 cogs, clicking on that gives me 'Select Session', that may give the option of Gnome or KDE?

Comment

Thanks to the help I'm now in a kde 4.1 desktop and trying to get used to the new environment. Almost like a Mac....

Comment

Well now, setting the desktop to login automatically is grayed out. How do I set this option in ver. 4.1?

Comment

Working...
                              X