Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreadable fonts (maybe because of NVidia card...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreadable fonts (maybe because of NVidia card...)

Hi everybody!
    I'm a Ubuntu 7.04 user and I want to install Kubuntu 8.04 on my laptop Dell Inspiron E1505.

I just tried the live cd to see if everything's working properly and I have the following problem: it boot normally, with no errors, but if in some windows the italic font appears, it is rendered in an ugly way!
    For example if I open the "About kubuntu" XML file on the desktop, it is barely readable, because all the italic letters kind of overlap each other. It's like each letter has it's own white square around, and this frame covers the part of the letter on the left which is bending to the right... I know, my description is not that good... I can try to get a screenshot if possible...

any of you experienced that? Do you think a real installation would solve the problem? Do you know if this can be due to the video card (NVidia Geforce GO 7300)? How do I use this card in Kubuntu?

THanks a lot!
    Ciao,
    Saverio

Re: Unreadable fonts (maybe because of NVidia card...)

Originally posted by SaverioB
    Hi everybody!
    I'm a Ubuntu 7.04 user and I want to install Kubuntu 8.04 on my laptop Dell Inspiron E1505.

I just tried the live cd to see if everything's working properly and I have the following problem: it boot normally, with no errors, but if in some windows the italic font appears, it is rendered in an ugly way!
    For example if I open the "About kubuntu" XML file on the desktop, it is barely readable, because all the italic letters kind of overlap each other. It's like each letter has it's own white square around, and this frame covers the part of the letter on the left which is bending to the right... I know, my description is not that good... I can try to get a screenshot if possible...

any of you experienced that? Do you think a real installation would solve the problem? Do you know if this can be due to the video card (NVidia Geforce GO 7300)? How do I use this card in Kubuntu?

THanks a lot!
    Ciao,
    Saverio
    The solution may be here:

http://albertomilone.com/wordpress/?p=184

EnvyNG will most probably find the correct non-free driver for your card, and everything will most probably be just fine.

Comment

I've noticed some terrible kerning in the text for desktop icons... must be a KDE font thing though... I can't believe the video card would be causing that...

Comment

You should be using the Mobile version (of nVidia GeForce 7300).
        Kubuntu has installed the 'Desk-top version'...by default.
        i am using the Desktop computer version, and having absolutely NO problems with mine.
        Try using the 'Mobile version', instead.
        It is 'supportive'...of Linux.

Comment

Working...
        X