This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 3.5.9

I am having a devil of a time locating the proper file(s) for KDE 3.5.9. I want to install it because of software conflicts of KDE 4.x with a new application I am using. And because 3.5.9 would work ok for me. I heard there were fewer bugs and conflicts overall with 3.5.9 as there are with 4.x. At any rate, could someone help me find the right file(s). For example, if you go to Softpedia and search for KDE 3.5.9, you will be guided to an ftp page with several, and I mean several different files that are all KDE 3.5.9 related, but with names of varying degrees of clarity.

thanks,
    theAdmiral

Re: KDE 3.5.9

Might want to check out FAQ: Removing KDE4 from mixed system

Packages kde and kde-core (both meta-packages):
    This metapackage includes all the official modules released with KDE that are not specific to development. In addition to the core KDE modules, this includes multimedia, networking, personal information manager (PIM), graphics, education, games, web development, system administration tools, and other artwork and utilities.
    This metapackage includes the core official modules released with KDE. This includes just the basic desktop (browser, file manager, text editor, control center, panel, etc.) and important libraries and data, in addition to the aRts soundserver.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You can find it in Adept, the package manager.

The package(s) have a name that starts with kde, not kde4.

kubuntu-desktop is the main one.
      The following link is a good resource:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE

Because various configuration files for applications might end up being shared between kde4 and kde3 your experience might not be perfect.
      One option is to install it with a different user (account) name.

Comment

I could not find it in Adept! And I looked Everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Might want to check out FAQ: Removing KDE4 from mixed system

Packages kde and kde-core (both meta-packages):
          This metapackage includes all the official modules released with KDE that are not specific to development. In addition to the core KDE modules, this includes multimedia, networking, personal information manager (PIM), graphics, education, games, web development, system administration tools, and other artwork and utilities.
          This metapackage includes the core official modules released with KDE. This includes just the basic desktop (browser, file manager, text editor, control center, panel, etc.) and important libraries and data, in addition to the aRts soundserver.
          I am not trying to make enemies, or to disrespect anybody, but why would I look up an article about a mixed system when my system is not mixed

Comment

You claim you don't have a mixed system, that's true UNTIL you add KDE3.5.9 to an existing KDE4 install.

About not being able to find kubuntu-desktop in Adept, I started with the KDE3.5.9 disk and you with the KDE4 one, maybe that means different repositories?

Comment

I am running hh remix (kde4 only) upgraded to kde4.1 and installed from the kde4 (remix) cd. kubuntu-desktop is in the repos so it should be in adept.

You can always do:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
              in a terminal.

And if you want to get rid of kde4 you can do:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-kde4-desktop
              and remove / comment out this line (if you have it) from the sources.list in /etc/apt:
              after having installed kde3.5.9!

This should give you a clean kde3.5.9 system.
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X