This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma Crashed

After a successful install of HH/KDE4 --> 4.1 (64bit) I did other installs using Adept. Shut down for the night. This morning when starting I got the message '.............Plasma Workplace crashed causing Signal 11 (SIGSEGV)'.

I'm able to login using the alternative desktop that looks look KDE 3.5. The 'About KDE' menu items say I'm in 4.1. Anyone care to help this noob? Thanks.

Re: Plasma Crashed

I'm not sure -- this is all new stuff. But you might try rebooting into recovery mode, choose "drop to a root shell" and at the root prompt issue
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure kdm
    Then
    Code:
    shutdown now -r
    and try again to boot normally. When you get to the GUI login, click the "session type" menu and make sure it is set for KDE4, or it will stay with the last-used session type.

Let us know if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      I'm not sure -- this is all new stuff. But you might try rebooting into recovery mode, choose "drop to a root shell" and at the root prompt issue
      Code:
      dpkg-reconfigure kdm
      Then
      Code:
      shutdown now -r
      and try again to boot normally. When you get to the GUI login, click the "session type" menu and make sure it is set for KDE4, or it will stay with the last-used session type.

Let us know if it works.
      When running '.............. reconfigure KDM'. It returns a message that KDM is not installed. Hiow can that be??

Comment

Hi,

I've got the same error with the 64bit version, but at my work where I have the 32bit version of Kubuntu installed it's working fine. I downloaded the ISO with KDE 4.0 remix and tried to download and install the new KDE 4.1 version by
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop
        and
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install gtk-qt-engine-kde4
        from the source: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main
        for the 32bit version it works but with the 64bit version of kubuntu only the splash screen with the login is shown and then the error message appears and I have to logout. There are no other updated libraries or files available by the apt-get, so I have no idea what to do.
        Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Comment

Working...
        X