X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partition table in reverse order

About a month ago, I tried to install Gutsy. When the installation
    got the partition step; both hard drives were displayed as SCSI.
    I let the installation continue and ended with a unusable installation.

Yesterday, I tried again but with Hardy. Not only were the drives
    seen as SCSI, but the IDE is after sda as sdb.
    I ran sudo fdisk -ul and it said that the Partition Table is in reverse
    order.

The PC contains a Matrox 40GB IDE on the Master IDE cable, and a
    Western Digital 250GB SATA on the Primary plug on the ASUS A8V Mobo.

My question is: Can I correct the Partition Table error during or before
    installation; or should I correct the problem after installation completes.
    I read the GRUB Howto-Toolkit, but didn't find anything relavant to my
    case. I even downloaded the SuperGrub floppy.
    Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance
    Some stress&nbsp; we are told&nbsp; is beneficial-especially in learning about PC&#39;s<br />Registered Linux User #410272

Re: Partition table in reverse order

"Partition table in reverse order" does not refer to the IDE and the SATA being revered. It means on one of them, the partitions are listed in reverse order; in fact, perhaps sda1 is last on the disk, as an example. You should post the output of fdisk -ul for us to see.

Since Feisty, ALL disks are designated sdx (i.e., no more hdx).

Always use GParted Live CD to do any and all partitioning or partition editing * before * running the K/U/Xubuntu installer (or any Linux installer, imo).

This is not a GRUB issue, although GRUB will have to know where's what, but it's the installer that will install GRUB to some MBR (if you tell it to). You CAN use the GRUB command
    grub> geometry (hd<Press the TAB key now>
    to learn about how BIOS and GRUB see your drives (see the how-to you referenced). Can be done from a Live CD a Konsole.

Sounds like you need to review your partitioning on those disks, using GParted, figuring out exactly what gives.

The output of fdisk -lu will also tell quite a story (study the beginning and ending points of each partition, draw a diagram to get the picture of what's where). The units are sectors of 512 bytes (using -ul as the option).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Here is what fdisk shows:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 250059350016
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
      Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
      Disk identifier: 0x8c8a1e2a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sda1 * 2048 102402047 51200000 7 HPFS/NTFS
      /dev/sda2 479363535 488392064 4514265 82 Linux swap/Solaris
      /dev/sda3 102414375 479363534 188474580 5 Extended
      /dev/sda5 381704400 479363534 48829567+ 83 Linux
      /dev/sda6 102414501 239111459 68348479+ 83 Linux
      /dev/sda7 239111523 381688334 71288406 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 40.0 GB 40037760000 bytes
      16 heads, 63 sectors/tracks, 77578 cylinders, total 78198750 sectors
      Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
      Disk identifier: 0x000a763d

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sdb1 * 63 78194591 39097264+ 7 HPFS

I hope this will help. Also, are you beginning to say that
      I might be a "skaredy cat"?

Some stress&nbsp; we are told&nbsp; is beneficial-especially in learning about PC&#39;s<br />Registered Linux User #410272

Comment

"skaredy cat"?

I spent some time up around DeKalb-Chicago back in 1970. I'd be scared of calling anyone up there a "skaredy cat.”

This is just my opinion here, but I like to keep things straight, linear, and stupid-proof.

Technically, there's nothing wrong with your disks and how they are partitioned. Mathematically, they are as good as any. However, one has to read carefully to get it. (Ever heard the saying, Fool the enemy when he flies over? That's how your partitions must be read.)

sda1 starts at sector 2048.
        It ends at sector 102402047.
        (1 sector = 512 bytes).
        OK.

Then your Extended partition starts (at 102414375), and as you can trace down, all other partitions are contained within the Extended EXCEPT the swap, which starts after the Extended ends.
        Which is OK. But just a bit difficult to follow and remember.
        Usually, we like sda2 to start after sda1 ends.
        Then sda3.
        Then the Extended sda4 starts.
        And then the Extended contains all the rest of the partitions sda5, sda6, etc.
        Whereas, your partitions are spread all around the disk.

I've heard something about this 2048 as the start point. It may be new (?). The old style was 63 – as with your second disk: sda1 starts at sector 63 – that's what we are used to seeing.

So, you have two complicating factors:

#1 A mixture of IDE and SATA drives (which usually causes confusion with the BIOS and thus when you try to sort out what (e.g., GRUB) went where according to device naming, like hd0, hd1, hd2.

#2 Your sda drive is not in disk order (as to how your partitions are set out).

Hard on the head, hard on the brain to follow it all.

I'd be tempted to re-do both drives, partitioning and formatting from scratch, using GParted Live CD.
        But then, I'm that way.
        Re-installing XP (do you have that?) is not always easy.

Fact is, from a live CD, using the GRUB command geometry, you could figure out all your device names:
        (hd0,0), (hd0,1), (hd0,2), ...
        (hd1,0), (hd1,1), (hd1,2) ...

And then you'd be in the driver's seat, for example when installing Kubuntu.

Somewhat relevant here is this, which shows you the end-goal:
        Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

Other opinions
        ==============>>>> I'd wait for others to chime in here with their opinions and experience.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks Qqmike and also, I'll cancel the hit by the NIU Hit Squad.
          After my second post I saw that fdisk meant that the partitions weren't
          in numerical order. I could possibly redo the partitions to fix this.
          When I first installed kubuntu 7.04 on this SATA drive, I had some
          difficulty getting kubuntu to order the parttions sequentially. All else
          being ok; could I go ahead and install Hardy?

Comment

"All else being ok; could I go ahead and install Hardy?"

Yes.

It looks like--and it would be best (meaning easiest!)--that both XP and Kubuntu will be on sda, right? And BIOS is set to boot from sda first. So sda will be seen as hd0 by GRUB at boot time. GRUB can go into the MBR of sda and GRUB will control the booting. (Of course, GRUB will overwrite anything that XP has put in the MBR, but most people feel that's OK. To restore XP's stuff you do need the XP CD.) The geometry command is invaluable in getting the hd0 and hd1 straight from the get-go. The Kubuntu installer MAY confuse the drives, though, but hopefully not if you do as much investigating as you can before running the Live Kubuntu installer.CD.

You've got the swap.
            So you just need a root partition, and optionally a separate partition for /home (see Rog131's how-to on partitioning).

"I'll cancel the hit by the NIU Hit Squad"
            Don't you know they are out detassling corn?
            Something I know something about, btw. As well as NIU (= M.S. in math). Nice environment, northern part of Illinois. In fact, all of Illinois--nice place to live.

Comment

Thanks again for your help Qqmike.
              I think that I will be able to handle the out of order partitions.
              Also, there is a / and a /home partitions setup.
              Besides its not as if its a Mandelblot is it?
              Think I'll give it a try in the morning.

One other question: Does the large Q in your name mean
              Quigley? lol!

Comment

Q is to fool the enemy when he flies over.

Comment

I decided to "Throw out the whole pan of water" and start from scratch
                  with a clean install of 7.04. When I say 'clean install"; I mean that I
                  deleted the old partitions on the SATA drive. I then created three
                  partitions for Kubuntu 7.04 (swap, /, and /home).
                  When Kubuntu rebooted for the second time; I ran fdisk -lu. WOW
                  What a difference Not only are the partitions for Kubuntu in
                  correct numerical order, but the Windows XP IDE hard drive shows as hda!

Comment

I think you made the best decision. Clean. From scratch.
                    Much easier to use now and easier to maintain in the future, or even to install something else on.

Comment

Working...
                    X