This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 boot trouble

Just installed 64-bit Kubuntu 8.04 last night. Installed the kubuntu-kde4-desktop packages. Everything was running smoothly. Installed the nvidia driver and edited my fstab to automount a couple of harddrives. Then I installed mediatomb and was trying to get it to autostart by first linking, then making a script to start it in the .kde/Autostart folder, but it didn't work. After I did this and rebooted a couple times I started having some problems. When I boot up Kubuntu for some reason my monitor says "out of range" for about 5-10 seconds during bootup, then will come back before it gets to the login screen (which is weird, but it has always come back and worked). Now, however, when I boot up it will just stay at "out of range" until I hit ctl-alt-del which will get me to the login screen.

When I try to login I get two errors. First, it says "Cannot enter /home using /". I click ok, then it gives me an error "Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation". Then it stays at the login screen. If I exit out to the shell and do a sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /home it will mount my home directory and let me login.

Any ideas what I've managed to screw up the first night I installed KDE 4?

Re: KDE 4 boot trouble

You didn't save anything or install anything in your /home directory while you were logged in as root, did you? Like save a link in .kde/Autostart?

If so, probably you'll have to delete the .kde folder in your home directory and then reboot. When you log back in, you will have a default KDE desktop and you'll have to do your desktop settings again.

Comment

Yep, that sounds very familiar:
      the old "edit /home as root and forget to change the remissions to /home/username" ploy.

I have done that often enough to remember

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I don't remember ever logging in as root, but maybe I did. Haha. Anyways, so I just delete the whole .kde folder? or the .kde4 folder? or both?

Also, any ideas why it makes my monitor say "out of range" every time I boot? Right now it gets stuck at the out of range part and I have to press ctl-alt-del, but I'm guessing that might have something to do with it getting stuck trying to mount home.

Comment

You don't have to (can't) log in as root.
          running kate with kdesudo (root mode) or editing from konqueror / dolphin in kdesudo (root) mode will do it.

I am presuming you have kde4 installed "next to " kde3.5.9.

In that case delete ~/.kde4 and re login.

As for the nivdia / xorg / graphic card / resolution issue i believe there is an issue with nivdia drivers.

For more:
          http://www.linux.com/feature/142661

I hope that points you in the right direction.

I am sorry I can't of more help and dible is the nivdia guru, especially on 64bit systems.

Maybe you could post your machine specs?
          Especially video card / driver etc.
          Did you use envy to install the driver?

either way, welcome to the party
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkel
            I don't remember ever logging in as root, but maybe I did. Haha. Anyways, so I just delete the whole .kde folder? or the .kde4 folder? or both?..
            Since you only have two posts, I'd like to give you a friendly reminder that there may be user data in those .kde directories... /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail, for example. So just to be safe, rename them to something else instead of deleting and regretting!

Comment

So right. sorry I forgot about that.
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the tip. It is a fresh install of Kubuntu so I'm not at the point of having any important user data yet. I'm also not a linux noob, I'm just a kubuntuforums noob!

I have all my important stuff on other partitions. I'm hoping to make Kubuntu with KDE 4.1 my main os, but for now I have MEPIS on a separate partition until I'm sure Kubuntu is the way I want to go.

BTW, my system specs...

AMD Athlon 64 1.8 Ghz
                1 GB RAM
                Nvidia 6600GT
                2 SATA HDDs
                1 IDE HDD
                Creative SB Live

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkel
                  Thanks for the tip. It is a fresh install of Kubuntu so I'm not at the point of having any important user data yet. I'm also not a linux noob, I'm just a kubuntuforums noob! ...
                  Only a linux noob would dare install 64-bit! Just kidding! :P

Yeah, your post showed you had some skills... I shouldn't have implied otherwise. Good luck with your problem.

Comment

LOL, touche!

Thanks though. I'm at work now so I can't try deleting .kde4 at the moment, but hopefully that fixes my problem when I get home.

Comment

OK, so I did what you guys said and deleted .kde4 directory, which didn't change anything.

So, I decided to reinstall since I didn't really have too much time invested in customizing and setting stuff up. I reinstalled, completely updated all packages, then installed kubuntu-kde4-desktop and kdeplasma-addons. Rebooted and same problem. However, I was a little more patient on the second reboot. I went outside and played frisbee with the dog when it hung at the "out-of-range" part and when I came back in it was at my graphical login screen and it let me login just fine with no errors. Before, I was assuming that it was stuck so I would control-alt-del and it would cancel whatever it was doing and not mount /home. Now, it seems it's a more complex problem than just /home not mounting.

I think it might be something with the updates that I install right after the install. Obviously there's something that's taking a really long time during boot that I can't see because for whatever reason my monitor switches to "out of range" during that part. Are there any logs that I can look at to see what's happening and why it's taking so long to boot?

Comment

Maybe
                        Code:
                        dmesg
                        will show something. The video stuff is at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Comment

Hmmmm....VERY strange. I think what was happening was it was doing a fsck on my large hard drive and it was taking a while. I'm still not sure what was causing the monitor to go "out of range" though. That also seems to have cleared up. I have no idea what I did to make that stop though, but last time I rebooted it actually showed the boot progress bar and didn't go out of range.

Comment

A 'self repairing OS' - when was the last time you saw that in Windoze?
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Glad you (or something ) got it going

I have no idea what I did to make that stop though, but last time I rebooted it actually showed the boot progress bar and didn't go out of range.
                              Sounds like you a hal computer

Seriously, I would try booting in verbose mode a few times just to make sure no strange messages are cropping up.

4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X