This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

app shortcut icons not showing in k menu

I just did a complete reinstall of Hardy this morning and I am having a problem with some apps not displaying a shortcut and icon in the k menu automatically upon install. This has happened twice now with both virtualBox and IE4Linux. When I previously installed these apps, the shortcuts were placed in the menu without issue.

This is a clean Hardy install. What could the problem?

• chris  m •

Re: app shortcut icons not showing in k menu

"Clean install" as in you reformatted your /home partition? If you didn't, and only reinstalled the main OS to root, then your prior configuration files were kept in your /home partition, and are being used.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      "Clean install" as in you reformatted your /home partition? If you didn't, and only reinstalled the main OS to root, then your prior configuration files were kept in your /home partition, and are being used.
      Hello again, Snowhog I reformatted my home partition. Though the problem is not as severe as I thought as upon my next reboot, the shortcut and icon for virtualbox appeared in my system menu. However the ie4linux one has not. I guess I will just have to do it manually.

An interesting side note: I have noticed that it seems better to actually do a clean install of Kubuntu, at least in this case, as the system seems to work much more smoothly. The hardware setup and configuration is much quicker and everything 'just worked' as it should. I didn't even have to touch the screen resolution, colour or refresh settings. Its also interesting to see how much installation has improved since 6.10. I think that was the last time I did a clean install. I think the install took under 15 minutes and I was in the new desktop already. It was almost effortless.
      • chris  m •

Comment

Originally posted by c_martini
        Though the problem is not as severe as I thought as upon my next reboot, the shortcut and icon for virtualbox appeared in my system menu.
        "...as upon my next reboot,..."

Yes, this is at times necessary. Not all applications that get installed show on the K Menu right away.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X