X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> GRUB shows Error 15 after installing 8.04

Hi,
    I'm generally Fedora and openSuse user. Recently I installed Kubuntu 8.04 and after reboot all Kubuntu GRUB entries (there are 3 of them) shows "Error 15 " and Kubuntu doesn't boot.
    First of all I've searched this forum and read about Error 15. But nothings seems to be similar to my situation I've also red the How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0. Unfortunately Error 15 section did not helped me much

So, here is what I did. Hope you can point me what is wrong.

I've 3 hard drives, but I'm using only one of them (sdb) form daily use. I'm also one of those guys who encrypts anything which is possible to encrypt The main reason for switching to Kubuntu is that is supports encryption of the root partition.
    My current system is openSuse 10.3 which has root partition on LVM. It's boot partition is sdb3. swap is also on LVM.
    I've installed Kubuntu 8.04 (from alternate CD). The boot partition test to sdb6, the root is on encrypted LVM volume and there is no swap. I did not noticed any errors during installation process till reboot.
    I modified my openSuse GRUB (on sdb3) to enable booting of Kubuntu (from sdb6). The Kubuntu boot menu is shown fine. But any Kubuntu entry results in Error 15 Maybe the absence of swap is the problem

Here is the listing of my /boot:
    422607 2008-04-10 19:51 abi-2.6.24-16-generic
    79964 2008-04-10 19:51 config-2.6.24-16-generic
    1024 2008-07-25 00:13 grub
    8300835 2008-07-25 00:11 initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
    7912852 2008-07-24 23:38 initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic.bak
    12288 2008-07-24 23:18 lost+found
    103204 2007-09-28 13:06 memtest86+.bin
    899892 2008-04-10 19:51 System.map-2.6.24-16-generic
    1904248 2008-04-10 19:51 vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic

And here is the content of /boot/grub:
    197 2008-07-25 00:13 default
    45 2008-07-25 00:13 device.map
    8056 2008-07-25 00:13 e2fs_stage1_5
    7904 2008-07-25 00:13 fat_stage1_5
    16 2008-07-25 00:13 installed-version
    8608 2008-07-25 00:13 jfs_stage1_5
    4786 2008-07-25 00:13 menu.lst
    7324 2008-07-25 00:13 minix_stage1_5
    9632 2008-07-25 00:13 reiserfs_stage1_5
    512 2008-07-25 00:13 stage1
    108356 2008-07-25 00:13 stage2
    9276 2008-07-25 00:13 xfs_stage1_5

I've checked the menu.lst and I didn't found any error in its entries. Also all necessary files seems to be present.

Any help would be very appreciated
    Thanks in advance!

Re: GRUB shows Error 15 after installing 8.04

Here is my menu.lst (I removed most of the comments):
    ## default num
    # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
    # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    #
    # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
    # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
    # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
    default 0

## timeout sec
    # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
    # (normally the first entry defined).
    timeout 10

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
    root (hd1,5)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/mapper/kozak-kubuntu8.04_root_crypt ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd1,5)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/mapper/kozak-kubuntu8.04_root_crypt ro single
    initrd /initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04, memtest86+
    root (hd1,5)
    kernel /memtest86+.bin
    quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title Other operating systems:
    root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/sdb1
    title Microsoft Windows XP Professional RU
    root (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/sdb2
    title Microsoft Windows XP Professional RU
    root (hd1,1)
    savedefault
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

Comment

Swap is probably being shared. It wouldn't cause Error 15 either way.

Well, your GRUB files are all there.

And /boot files look right.

You say that Kubuntu “supports” encryption, so I'll go with that (which implies that GRUB should not be foxed by it?).

LVM ... don't know much about it, except it seems to cause GRUB-booting problems. A long time ago (a year?) there was a post here with a GRUB problem where SuSe & LVM were involved, but I can't remember how we resolved it.

(hd1,5): sounds like you are pretty sure that's correct (i.e., that it is hd1)?
      That's where the vmlinuz kernel files are, right?
      From a live CD
      sudo grub
      grub> geometry (hd<Press the TAB key now>
      shows your hard drives as seen by GRUB at boot time
      grub> geometry (hd0)
      grub> geometry (hd1)
      etc
      explores the drives.
      grub> find /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
      may find the kernel files (in GRUB notation).

The command sudo fdisk -lu also gives useful information about the partitions.

(Finally,
      root=/dev/mapper/kozak-kubuntu8.04_root_crypt
      is a new one for me and no doubt has to do with the encryption stuff? That tells the kernel where the root files of Kubuntu are.)

The main culprit with Error 15 usually is in the
      root (hd1,5)
      statement.
      => wrong hard drive (hd1); or something about the LVM is messing it up.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

More thoughts (before I leave for awhile here):

GRUB doesn't understand LVM (I don't think--BIOS can't read LVM, so GRUB gets confused, too). So reformatting may help.
        Or, putting /boot on a separate non-LVM partition is another way.

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/mapper/kozak-kubuntu8.04_root_crypt ro quiet splash

Assuming (hd1,5) is right, is that the correct path?
        Is it /boot/vmlinuz or something else?
        (i.e., Where did you put those kernel files? under /boot or under / ?)
        (thought: with LVM, you may need /boot directory)

EDIT:
        a google on
        LVM and GRUB
        produces many issues similar to yours.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@ghoul, what is your filesystem type on the Kubuntu partition?

Comment

@dibl and @Qqmike thanks for your help. Especially @Qqmike

@Qqmike, your suspicion for (hd1,5) was correct. After changing it to (hd0,5) GRUB loaded the image. There are problems with Kubintu startup, but the problem with GRUB is solved.
            The most strange thing is that during installation Kubuntu installer referred to this hard drive as sdb (which should be hd1), but when the GRUB was loaded, the same hard drive was referred as hd0. I'm 100% sure about naming during installation because /boot partition was mentioned 2 times: firstly on partitioning and secondly on boot loader configuration. Also the correct partition was formatted and all GRUB files are present there.
            I assume there is some some inconsistency in my BIOS or something like this.

I'm providing some more info below hoping this may be helpful for another person.

My Kubuntu /boot is not localed on LVM. AFIK it is not allowed to put /boot on LVM.
            Filesystem on both /boot and / Kubunty partitions is ext3. Also / is located on encrypted logical volume.
            I had not live CD at hand, so I used the GRUB command line when boot menu was shown. Tis allowed me call find and geometry commands.

P.S. I'm renaming this thread as solved.

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; GRUB shows Error 15 after installing 8.04

Device naming --
              The Kubuntu installer may “guess” device naming differently than GRUB. (And, by the way, GRUB sees the devices the same way BIOS sees them). Whenever possible, before running a Kubuntu/Ubuntu installer, I first explore the devices on my machine using both GRUB commands (geometry) and sudo fdisk -lu (say from a Live CD or another installed Linux distro). Then I run the new installer, knowing how GRUB sees all my partitions. But, anyway, ghoul, you are right that the installer may see the partitions/devices differently.

One fact, though: In BIOS setup, you specify a hard drive to be the first-in-order boot drive that BIOS is to boot from (the CD/DVD is usually set in BIOS as the very first device, then comes the hard drives in the order you specify). Now, when you re-boot your PC and BIOS then boots from that first hard drive (that you specified in BIOS setup), that hard drive is always seen by GRUB to be hd0 at the time the PC boots from it and during that PC session. That's a fact. (And that first-in-order drive that you set in BIOS to boot from can be anything: a flash drive, an internal drive, or an external drive).

“I assume there is some some inconsistency in my BIOS or something like this.”
              --No – your BIOS is working fine! It's the Kubuntu installer that got it “wrong.”

Thanks for the feedback in your last paragraph. In particular (and I was not very clear on this myself), BIOS & GRUB can not read LVM. From what you said, you've set things up so that GRUB doesn't have to read LVM, which, of course, is the correct way.

Well, very nice work on your part, ghoul, and thanks very much for the nice feedback and for your tips to the next person here! Carry on!

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; GRUB shows Error 15 after installing 8.04

Originally posted by Qqmike
                Device naming --
                The Kubuntu installer may “guess” device naming differently than GRUB. (And, by the way, GRUB sees the devices the same way BIOS sees them). Whenever possible, before running a Kubuntu/Ubuntu installer, I first explore the devices on my machine using both GRUB commands (geometry) and sudo fdisk -lu (say from a Live CD or another installed Linux distro). Then I run the new installer, knowing how GRUB sees all my partitions. But, anyway, ghoul, you are right that the installer may see the partitions/devices differently.
                When I first installed Kubuntu, I used my openSuse to prepare the /boot partition and / logical volume for Kubuntu. Installation was easy till the moment where GRUB is configured. I did not noticed the ID of my /boot partition in partitions section To avoid messing the hard drive I canceled the installation.
                On my second try I was already wiser and accurately written down the ID for Kubuntu /boot partition. Again I did it in openSuse. openSuse showed it as sda6. So, when the installation was at the GRUB configuration section I typed sda6 as /boot partition And there was a surprise after reboot: the Kubuntu's GRUB did not showed up. At all. That was because the installer modified first record of wrong partition (#6 but on another hard drive, still I had a little of luck and data on that partition was not corrupted ), but GRUB files were written to the correct partition. Probably there was some way to update first record of /boot partition to make GRUB work.
                But I just installed Kubuntu for the third time. And this thread was about it

Thanks for your time and help!

Comment

Working...
                X