X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fsck fails on boot, HELP!

I have good news and bad news...

First, the good news:

Snowdog - That last suggestion did the trick. i'm surprised I didn't catch that mistake earlier, pouring over that fstab repeatedly as I did. After commenting out the /dev/sbd2, the system booted fine. Many thanks to both yourself and dibl for all the time and patience in helping me get this fixed...

Now the bad news:

Either as a result of the original system problem or during the course of trying to fix the disk problem, several things seem to have broken. Networking no longer works, various random applications are broken. I suspect that as a result of the original problem, some corruption occured on the root filesystem disk. I wanted to avoid it at all costs, but I'm afraid I will have to reinstall the entire system again... I just spent the last several days trying to fix this only to discover I have to reinstall everything... Damn it. Getting it all installed, tweaked and setup for the way I work will take me weeks, not to mention all the little things you forget to backup during an exercise like this. What a disappointment.

Looking at the bright side: Well at least its far easier and more rewarding to get Kubuntu setup and tweaked with all bells and whistles than it used to be with Windows. Typically I was reinstalling Windows on an average of every 3 to 5 months after it got bogged down from all the crap it typically accumulates over time. This is the first time in about a year that I have had to do a reinstall of Linux...
    • chris  m •

Comment

First, you are welcome. Don't you just hate it when you miss your own mistakes? That's what one gets for attempting to proof ones own work. :P

Before you go and do a complete reinstall, you might want to try renaming your hidden .kde folder and then just restarting (shutdown and reboot). This will force the system to recreate the .kde folder. You will have a 'clean' desktop, but if certain configuration files for your apps themselves got messed up, then relaunching them (and configuring) may get some of them back. You can't loose by trying given that if it doesn't work, you still do a reinstall.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hah -- great -- glad it got fixed!

Yeah, one UUID per partition is plenty!

Comment

Working...
        X