X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fsck fails on boot, HELP!

Originally posted by Snowhog
    Are you left at a prompt? I believe you are.

Type:
    Code:
    fsck
    This will force a filesystem check on the entries in your fstab file. This should resolve the problem.
    I tried this. fsck went through its check. upon reboot, the same error message appears as before.

• chris  m •

Comment

Okay. Rerun the command as:
      Code:
      fsck -p
      If this doesn't resolve the problem, let's look at the log file:
      Code:
      tail -100 /var/log/fsck/checkfs
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay. Rerun the command as:
        Code:
        fsck -p
        If this doesn't resolve the problem, let's look at the log file:
        Code:
        tail -100 /var/log/fsck/checkfs
        This is the log:

Code:
        Log of fsck -C3 -R -A -a 
        Mon Jul 28 17:58:25 2008

fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
        /dev/sdb2 is mounted. e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

fsck died with exit status 8

Mon Jul 28 17:58:25 2008
        ----------------
        • chris  m •

Comment

Well, if the system is reporting the partition as mounted, then let's unmount it. At the prompt type:
          Code:
          umount -a
          What, if any, error messages are given? (there should be none). Then shutdown/restart (shutdown -r now)

Comment

Well, if the system is reporting the partition as mounted, then let's unmount it. At the prompt type:
            Code:
            umount -a
            What, if any, error messages are given? (there should be none). Then shutdown/restart (shutdown -r now)
            I get the following error after typing in the umount -a command:

Code:
            umount: /dev device is busy
            umount: /: device is busy
            • chris  m •

Comment

Probably you need to unmount ONLY /dev/sdb2. So,
              Code:
              sudo umount /dev/sdb2
              and then
              Code:
               sudo fsck /dev/sdb2

Comment

@dibl

No, I don't think that's going to work. In fact, I think the reason we've been unsuccessful getting the root filesystem unmounted is that you can't - not while it's 'active.'

So, let's attack this from a different front. If you have the LiveCD, boot into it. When you are on the desktop, open a console and type:
                Code:
                sudo mkdir /media/ROOTFS
                sudo mount  /dev/sda2 /media/ROOTFS
                sudo fsck -p /media/ROOTFS

Comment

Ah -- well, that's true, I didn't realize it was the root filesystem that was having the problem.

OK, then your only option is to boot a Live CD and do the fsck on the root partition that way. No need to mount it (or unmount it) in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    No need to mount it (or unmount it) in that case.
                    As a filesystem, yes, you wouldn't mount it. As a device, you have to in order to 'see it' and act upon it.

Comment

It's been awhile -- I could be wrong, but I think if (from a Live CD login) you can do
                      Code:
                      fdisk -lu
                      and see the partition, then you can run fsck on it. All without running a mount command.

Right?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        It's been awhile -- I could be wrong, but I think if (from a Live CD login) you can do
                        Code:
                        fdisk -lu
                        and see the partition, then you can run fsck on it. All without running a mount command.

Right?
                        Running this command seems to do something and then returns me to the prompt. i do not know what to do next. I am not sure how to run fsck on the root file system drive if that is what you are asking me to do. I don't know which path to use with the command... As I am in the live cd environment, the root file system is actually in ram and the the root filesystem of the installed system is on a disk which is not mounted for obvious reasons. Why should I run fsck on root if the problem is with the /dev/sdb2, which is a separate drive?
                        • chris  m •

Comment

Follow my instructions in reply #21.

Comment

@dibl

No, I don't think that's going to work. In fact, I think the reason we've been unsuccessful getting the root filesystem unmounted is that you can't - not while it's 'active.'

So, let's attack this from a different front. If you have the LiveCD, boot into it. When you are on the desktop, open a console and type:
                            Code:
                            sudo mkdir /media/ROOTFS
                            sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/ROOTFS
                            sudo fsck -p /media/ROOTFS
                            Ok, following your instruction in post 21, i get the following response when I type in the command:

Code:
                            ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck -p  /media/ROOTFS
                            fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
                            fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /media/ROOTFS
                            /media/ROOTFS:
                            The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
                            filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
                            filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
                            is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
                              e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
                            • chris&nbsp; m •

Comment

First, as you are probably getting concerned - I would if I were in your position - I want you to know that nothing done so far has actually done anything to your system. Nothing has been changed.

This thread is getting long. Please summarize what happened / what you did right after the last successfull boot into your system.

Comment

I found the problem. It's in your fstab file:
                                # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                                #
                                # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                                proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                                # /dev/hda2
                                UUID=afbdf77d-f3bf-4284-b109-e5bb0b3fc95f / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
                                # /dev/hda1
                                UUID=2A40889E408871FD /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 2
                                # /dev/sda5
                                UUID=E72295C793A24D03 /media/sda5 ntfs defaults,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 2
                                # /dev/hda5
                                UUID=b441fbd0-fe20-431a-80cf-773caa05f358 none swap sw 0 0
                                /dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                                # /dev/sdb2
                                UUID=afbdf77d-f3bf-4284-b109-e5bb0b3fc95f /media/shared ext3 defaults 0 2
                                You are using the same UUID for two different partitions!! This is not allowed, and of course, the OS is properly complaining. Assuming that this UUID is in fact the correct one for the root partition - and it must be, other wise you wouldn't even get as far as you have - then you can for the moment, replace the last entries UUID with /dev/sdb2 or just comment it out.

Make this change and reboot. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Once you are on your desktop, open a console and type:
                                Code:
                                blkid
                                Then identify the correct UUID for /dev/sdb2 and you can then re-edit your fstab and replace the last UUID accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                X