This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Font and desktop size in Kubuntu

So, having switched from the GNOME desktop of Ubuntu, I must say that I prefer Kubuntu in most aspects, but there are several issues which annoy me:

The size of the desktop windows and the fonts:the desktop size makes me feel as if my monitor, which is small enough already, has become even smaller because I can't fit as much stuff on the screen as before. This is also related to the font size, which I don't have qualms with except for the fact that some of the webpages that I go to get broken up because they can't fit all the words on one line like they used to.

Also, Dolphin seems to not recognize folders that have non-English names; I'm not talking about just the names being replaced with boxes. They don't show up at all, which made me think that I'd lost all my data until I viewed it the drive again in windows.

So, can anyone think of any tips for these problems? Thanks.

Re: Font and desktop size in Kubuntu

Before proceeding, I have a question. Are you running the standard KDE3.5.9, or the not-ready-for-prime-time KDE4? If you are running KDE4, the only advice I can provide is: DON'T. Wait for Kubuntu 8.10. Look at some of the threads in our Experimentation/Customization/Optimization forum to see what very experienced Kubuntu users are doing with KDE4.

If you are running KDE3.5.9, the first thing you must understand is that, unlike GNOME, KDE is almost totally customizable. This makes it substantially less annoying to tweakers, but a bit harder to get used to. You HAVE TO set it up the way YOU want it not the way a bunch of idealogues in Cambridge (my fair city) think you should want it. Click on the "K" on the bottom (kicker) panel, then click "System Settings". Then change everything to the way you you like it.

Comment

I've been wondering about this as well. I am totally new to Linux and Kubuntu, but it seemed like it would be worth giving a try, so I've been using the Live CD feature to try it out. The computer I've been using is hooked up to my 1080p TV through a HDMI/DVI connection, and the font sizes are disproportionately huge.

At first, I thought maybe it was just the size of the screen that was making everything seem large, but if I open the Help window or look at folders, some of the text is so big that it's overlapping strangely and it really looks like a bug.

I've looked around for some sort of property that I can modify to reduce the text universally, but so far, no luck. I'm not sure whether to blame the computer, the video card, the monitor, or Kubuntu, at this point.

It's too bad. The Live CD has pretty much convinced me that installing Kubuntu will be fine, but this issue is a pretty significant stumbling block, and unfortunately, I'm too ignorant to understand what steps I can take to alleviate it...

Comment

(I'm running a Dutch version of Kubuntu so I might get a name wrong)

When I switched to a computer with a much higher definition screen I wanted to increase the fond size and looked for a similar solution as in windows, change the DPI.

This is not quite as easy as Kubuntu has several places where this needs to be changed and therefore I left it.

What I did do is get into the System Settings (K-menu) and then Shape (Display?) and Style where you can edit the Letter (Font) Types.
        This and some similar settings in individual applications like Firefox made the system acceptable for me.

Comment

That did it! Thank you!

Comment

Forcing the DPI setting also helped with my problems. Thanks!

Now, onto the other related issues...

Comment

Working...
            X