X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a clean installation.

Hi,

The last system update screwed my system so violently, that I will be making a clean installation of Hardy.

The motto for this new & clean installation: "Reliability and stability go before widgetability and gadgetability!"

Now I have 3 questions:

1) Under a stability and reliability aspect: should I install Kubuntu Hardy or Gutsy?

2) I want to avoid KDE 4 at all cost, I want to stick with KDE 3.5. How can I do that? How can I prevent the update manager to install KDE 4 stuff?

3) Which repositories should I activate, which ones should I AVOID?

I love KDE, but I have had instability issues, that drove me nuts (Several weeks without printer, now today no keyboard, etc. etc.)

Thanks for your help!

Re: Question about a clean installation.

1) Under a stability and reliability aspect: should I install Kubuntu Hardy or Gutsy?
    It is up to you: do you need the latest version (well - the development version has the latest) of an application.

2) I want to avoid KDE 4 at all cost, I want to stick with KDE 3.5. How can I do that? How can I prevent the update manager to install KDE 4 stuff?
    Again - it is up to you - package manager should not install anything that you don't want to. If your package manager is installing packages without your approval, change that package manager > FAQ: Package Managers

KDE 4.0 packages has been renamed => konqueror -> konqueror-kde4.
    KDE 4.1 packages for the Hardy are from the ppa repositories.

3) Which repositories should I activate, which ones should I AVOID?
    > Repositories
    A Quick, Tongue-in-cheek Description of the Ubuntu Repositories
    • $release: Don’t touch it, I like consistency, even with my bugs.
    • $release-security: I’ll accept patches to existing versions (and very rare version upgrades if absolutely necessary) in the process of keeping my system secure.
    • $release-updates: Okay, some bugs are worth fixing, and I trust you this much (holds up two fingers like Maxwell Smart).
    • $release-backports: I have something akin to technology ADHD, needing the latest of everything I can possibly get, but I can’t handle running the development branch.
    • $devel: I can take it. Seriously. If you break my X, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine. I’ll file and maybe even fix the bugs and I’ll do it even if power management is not so much ‘managed’ as vomited all over the wall. Come get some.
    • Debian: We do the work so you don’t have to.

> UbuntuBackports
    What are Backports

Ubuntu releases a new version of its OS every 6 months. After a release, the version of all packages stays constant for the entire 6 months. For example, if Ubuntu ships with OpenOffice.org 2.0.x, it will remain at OpenOffice.org 2.0.x for the entire 6-month release cycle, even if a later version gets released during this time. The Ubuntu team may apply important security fixes to 2.0.x, but any new features or non-security bugfixes will not be made available.

This is where Ubuntu Backports comes in. The Backports team believes that the best update policy is a mix of Ubuntu's security-only policy AND providing new versions of some programs. Candidates for version updates are primarily desktop applications, such as your web browser, word processor, IRC client, or IM client. These programs can be updated without replacing a large part of the operating system that would affect stability of the whole system.

Backports is an official Ubuntu repository and maintained by knowledgeable Ubuntu developers who are often present on IRC and other communications media. But note that software in backports will not receive review or updates from the Ubuntu security team itself...
    + lot of stuff

> RepositoriesKubuntu
    - Kubuntu repositories = Ubuntu repositories

> PPA
    Personal Package Archives (PPA) allow you to upload Ubuntu source packages to be built and published as an apt repository by Launchpad. You can find out more about PPAs and how to use them in our quick-start guide.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X