This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to hardy hung

I started the upgrade to hardy yesterday. The upgrade tool said I needed just under a gig of space, and I had 1.4 gig free, so I started it off and went to bed. This morning I looked and the upgrade said it had 6 minutes to go, but was hung. I checked the file system and it was at 100%.

I found a bunch of old log files and other bric-a-brac, and deleted them, freeing about 400+ meg, but the upgrade is still hung at the same spot.

Is there any way to get it going again or to restart it from where it left off? I've been upgrading from feisty to gutsy to hardy and don't want to have to start over from feisty again....

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Upgrade to hardy hung

You could try to lookup the console commands: aptitude dist-upgrade -y; aptitude -f install;dpkg --configure -a
    and use at your own risk
    Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
    CV and gallery at grn.dk
    Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

You used an upgrade tool, to check on your hard-drive, and it said 'you need just under a Gig', right.
      And, you had 1.4G.
      For a Hardy Heron upgrade.
      Hmmmmmm....what about the space required, for all the 'updates' that come with this upgrade?
      There are quite a few of them.
      There was no place left, to put them into.
      Like Windows, Linux needs space.....for it's version of Virtual Memory (Swap whatever).
      And, you forgot that 'golden rule' of computering, ignoring the total of a sum that did not add up. (Less than a Gig, with 1.4 Gig 'free space'.........there is very very little difference between the two.)
      By going off to bed, leaving the computer unattended.
      If you had stayed just that little longer, you would have seen the whole List (size-wise)..or, that you did and missed the significance of it.
      Sorry, but that's how I read it.
      Hope there wasn't too much 'important stuff' on your computer.
      A complete reinstall (of either Kubuntu or your old System) is in the wind, for you.
      As new to Kubuntu as I might be, I don't know yet if there is any way of recovering from that (like reclaiming your old system back...and losing the upgrade version).
      If you have nothing important on your computer, why not go for a proper Install... with Kubuntu (no upgrade), instead?
      I've installed it 3 times, in the past week, learning with every install, of what to do next.
      Why did I do that?
      "To tinker, is to experiment.......and, to experiment......is to gain Knowledge/Experience."
      I am 62 years old (self-taught, on computers, for 9 years), and still learning, will do so till the day I die.
      That's how I look at everything.
      My (80 Gig) hard-drive is all Kubuntu (from scratch).
      Nothing else, and having never used any Linux OS before, I am still learning as I go.
      No ' Key-code activation process' to impede me...like XP/Vista.
      That's the beauty about the Linux OS, you can install it a thousand times (on a thousand machines) and it still won't demand 'activation'.
      Just the Root Password...that you created, to use to Log-on with (if you are the sole User) ........ for the Administrative Mode, which does act very much like the high state of Security Vista does use.
      I wish you luck.
      Because it looks like I am in for another Install, myself. (The Motherboard has refused to 'identify' the Floppy-drive...therefore Kubuntu does not it is 'exists'......and, I have to learn 'how-to' to use the "Mount" process.......to get my DVD Player and DVD burner working in Kubuntu. It may prove to be something very simple, and I am overlooking it....because my brain is still in "XP mode". I am not up to speed, yet, with the Linux way of 'configuring virtually everything', manually.)

Comment

Well, I tried the manual dist-upgrade and it said I had to do the dpkg configure first. So I tried that and all was looking good until it got to package 'locale' and everything stopped. Couldn't get past that no matter what I did so decided to restore back to feisty.

Of course that's when my dvd player decided to act up, so I couldn't restore. Sigh. No myth for me.

Comment

Well, depending on your computer's speed, locale can take absolute ages! I had a 350mhz processor some time back and an hour was not enough... - not sure whether it is useful info for you, but there you go
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X