This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> KPowerSave is a joke

I'm done. No more time is going into THIS black hole.

I'm currently running Hardy, on an HP desktop workstation. On neither Gutsy or Hardy have I ever been able to get the kind of hibernation functionality I easily had on Windows (one of the few areas of superiority I've found for Win.).

First, out of the box (fresh install of Hardy to a formatted partition), there were Hibernate and Standby buttons on the system shutdown modal window. They didn't DO anything. They just sat there and engendered false hopes. Nice.

Then I installed KPowerSave. The exit window buttons still didn't do anything, but there were options to "suspend to RAM", etc., in the right click menu obtained from a mouseover of the Kpowersave icon in the system tray. But, when rebooting, the system simply hung, with a black screen of death. So now I can definitely hibernate. Forever. Again, nice.

Clearly it's more important to management to add eye candy to the system than it is to add this sort of energy saving functionality, so I don't hope for anything better in the near future.

Good riddance KPowerSave. I hardly new 'ya.

t.

Re: KPowerSave is a joke

in my case it's 2 kernel modules that do not unload, that prevent the power saving stuff to work.
    a) ipw3945 (intel wireless network card driver)
    b) nvidia (nvidia graphics card proprietary driver)

i know...
    you said no more time would go into this.
    but this really only takes 5 minutes.
    please, have a go with the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hibernate
    this package installs about 400kb of stuff.
    then enter:
    Code:
    sudo hibernate-disk
    see what it says.
    we might find out the reason why you have the problems you have
    and possibly find a way around (some of) them.
    like i did for myself.
    yeah?

EDIT:
    i'm still on 7.10 and hibernate is in universe for me.
    should be the same for you.
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

EDIT:
      Yep, it is in the HH repos as well.

@Tom well there are a few things about different linux distros that are a joke. But not many.

Most of the "jokes" don't even have anything to do with the inability of linux as a OS but the inability of some hardware producers / vendors concerned.

I understand where you are coming from and agree to the extent that computers are tools to work with.
      Taking that analogy one step forward tools are meant to be "learnt" so they can be used properly.

I won't degress into how many times I have had to put my poor 6 year old machine through the torture of reinstalling win xp, much less less the rest of the agro. OHH I did degress

If you have ever cooked a meal from a recipe you know it doesn't work. Neither the first nor the fourth time.
      Once you have it right though you will have it right every time. And you get a great meal to boot
      That is what this whole party is about. Spend some time learning now and spend more time having fun later because your tool works.
      Plus you have a bunch of people that do not charge $50 - 100 / hr just to say hello in a not so useful way.
      Clearly it's more important to management to add eye candy to the system than it is to add this sort of energy saving functionality, so I don't hope for anything better in the near future.
      There is no "management" here.
      Just a bunch of very qualified and dedicated developers how have to reverse engineer some drivers for various reasons.

As for eyecandy, have a look at other OS's and what they forced a whole industry to force upon its customers.
      Then sit back and look at their response.

Yes, they are not alway user knowledgeable but that is changing.
      One reason why kde4.0 was released was for that reason. They wanted the feedback. Good idea? Don't know but seeing the rate of progress that desktop has made in 6 months.... it is very encouraging.

Sorry if I am harping around here and yes I agree with jan.
      Try it out. After all we are here to help

Just my 2.5 cents and it has been a long day so please bear with me

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sorry to hear about your trouble.I personally don't use hibernation as in windows it never worked right for me, so i learned to live without it.Today i reinstalled win because of a load of viruses and wanting to have two seperate drives instead of dual boot.I've got win xp installed , but my new wireless router has been a major headache.
        How long did it take to get it working with a Kubuntu 7.04 live cd ? 5 minutes ! If kpowersave dosen't work right i agree they should fix it.

good luck!

Comment

You should try to solve the problem with os provided tools for suspend/hibernate (that means no kpowersave).

The most simple things you can do that I can think of are:
          * creating a bug report of suspend/hibernate not working here (against acpi-support package I believe)
          * searching for similar cases with the exact same hp desktop model.

a bit boring reading:
          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelSuspend

Comment

I love the hibernate feature and use it all the time, I do that instead of shutdown.

I see why you want it. Luckily it works for me (Ubuntu 8.04)
            My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jankushka
              in my case it's 2 kernel modules that do not unload, that prevent the power saving stuff to work.
              a) ipw3945 (intel wireless network card driver)
              b) nvidia (nvidia graphics card proprietary driver)

i know...
              you said no more time would go into this.
              but this really only takes 5 minutes.
              please, have a go with the following:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install hibernate
              this package installs about 400kb of stuff.
              then enter:
              Code:
              sudo hibernate-disk
              see what it says.
              we might find out the reason why you have the problems you have
              and possibly find a way around (some of) them.
              like i did for myself.
              yeah?

EDIT:

It worked! I now seem to have a fully functional hibernate function, which DOES respond to the Hibernate button which displays on power-down options panel. I've never seen this before. Thanks very much. I'd really given up on this. Thanks again!

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; KPowerSave is a joke

Fintan,

Thanks for your thoughts. In agreement with a point of view you expressed, I agree that for every frustration I've had with Kubuntu, I certainly could find at least that many I've had with Windows. I got off the train right as Vista was rising to ascendancy. And I'm scarred for life by my experience with Windows 98.

Your counseling moderation in reaction, and patience, seems entirely correct to me. The real question seems to be whether or not I'll be able to hand to that perspective next time I stub my toe on some Kubuntu chuckhole!

About the eye-candy comment - you're right. There IS an environmental imperative in action here.

Sorry I was so slow to respond. It's been a very full week for me.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
                  It worked! I now seem to have a fully functional hibernate function, which DOES respond to the Hibernate button which displays on power-down options panel. I've never seen this before. Thanks very much. I'd really given up on this. Thanks again!
                  when the goings get tough... 8)
                  take care!
                  gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                    I love the hibernate feature and use it all the time, I do that instead of shutdown.

I see why you want it. Luckily it works for me (Ubuntu 8.04)
                    me too !! after reading this thread i followed the instructions posted by jankushka and it works ! i never used the hibernate feature in Windows, because it was better to restart (or shutdown), but with linux it's much better then shutdown. Thank you !!!
                    I&#39;ll tell you all my secrets, but I&#39;ll lie about my past<br /><br />http://www.thebizneeds.com

Comment

Working...
                    X