This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> fresh install-from-scratch of Hardy - cannot see NTSF partition

I've spent a few hours trying everything I can think of, to no avail. In /media, there is NO SDA1 device (or whatever it's called). I cannot read files in my windows partition.

At installation, I clearly specified SDA1 - also clearly marked as NTSF - "windows". I don't see how I could have made it clearer. Kubuntu won't recognize it. The partition's there - I'm in it right now, and all's well.

Is there someway I can get SDA1 to be visible in my Kubuntu install. I've googled for this, and searched the forum archives, but not come up with anything.

Thanks for any help.

Re: fresh install-from-scratch of Hardy - cannot see NTSF partition

try this

hxxp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

also a good read

hxxp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

this is ubuntu info so you need change some commands for kde apps.

Comment

Thanks - I'll read.

But...I'm confused. I thought access to clearly identified NTSF partitions was automatic. It was when I installed Gutsy - if I recall right. This clean install of Hardy seems to work differently - or am I having the experience everyone has?

Comment

tomcloyd@

Man, you just aren't having a very good day, are you? Yes, ntfs is supposed to be accessible 'out of the box' since Gutsy. Just so we are on the same page, did you install Hardy Heron or Hardy Heron remix? The difference is that remix comes with KDE 4 as opposed to KDE 3.5.9 otherwise.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I installed the regular Hardy - not remix. Just verified this by looking at the System Settings > Desktop > Help > About. Wanted to be totally sure (which I pretty much was before this).

So...

Twice already today I've loaded the OS (8.04.01) to my system partition, and in the partition editor told setup that SDA1 - already identified as "ntsf" - was "windows". I didn't see what more I could do. Twice it's come up blink to that partition.

I really really open to any ideas you may have. Thanks!

Comment

Not to second guess, but the partition in question is a Windoze ntfs formated one? Will you post your /etc/fstab file for a review? And while at it, in a console, type:
            Code:
            sudo fdisk -l
            and copy and paste the output as well.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Not to second guess, but the partition in question is a Windoze ntfs formated one?
              Sure is. See immediately below...

Here's more output -

Code:
              tomc@tomc-desktop:~/Desktop$ df -h
              Filesystem      Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
              /dev/sda3       9.4G 2.6G 6.3G 30% /
              varrun        252M 156K 252M  1% /var/run
              varlock        252M   0 252M  0% /var/lock
              udev         252M  52K 252M  1% /dev
              devshm        252M   0 252M  0% /dev/shm
              lrm          252M  39M 213M 16% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
              /dev/sda5       19G 298M  18G  2% /home
              /dev/sda1       45G  31G  15G 68% /windows
              tomc@tomc-desktop:~/Desktop$
              So...it sure seems to be there, but...konqueror can't see it.

Will you post your /etc/fstab file for a review?
              Code:
              # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
              #
              # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
              proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
              # /dev/sda3
              UUID=fb8c3c84-bd56-4d9a-bfc4-5342bab9c053 /        ext3  relatime,errors=remount-ro 0    1
              # /dev/sda5
              UUID=8cc98eb1-c2d1-43e3-84f9-9728ca4a04e5 /home      ext3  relatime    0    2
              # /dev/sda1
              UUID=861C20741C206203 /windows    ntfs  defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
              # /dev/sda2
              UUID=33a6cf95-470d-46a7-b35d-ef32dbd01f4a none      swap  sw       0    0
              /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0
              in a console, type:
              Code:

sudo fdisk -l
              Code:
              tomc@tomc-desktop:/$ sudo fdisk -l
              [sudo] password for tomc:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
              255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
              Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
              Disk identifier: 0x9c879c87

Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
              /dev/sda1  *      1    5836  46877638+  7 HPFS/NTFS
              /dev/sda2      5837    6079   1951897+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
              /dev/sda3      6080    7305   9847845  83 Linux
              /dev/sda4      7306    9729  19470780  5 Extended
              /dev/sda5      7306    9729  19470748+ 83 Linux
              tomc@tomc-desktop:/$
              Thanks for your help - I'll watch closely for a reply tonight (he says hopefully).

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
                Code:
                # /dev/sda1
                UUID=861C20741C206203 /windows    ntfs  defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0   1
                1. That fstab line tries to mount it to '/windows' directory, does one exist? (if not, create it...or if you wish to mount it under /media, change '/windows' to something like '/media/windows'...and create such a directory)
                2. check with 'sudo blkid' that the UUID number for the ntfs system is correct.

Other notes:
                3. If you wish to mount the ntfs file system as writable (as using umask seems to suggest), replace 'ntfs' with 'ntfs-3g' (newer driver with better/safer write support)
                4. Replace the final '1' with '0'. This number has to do with boot time disk checks, '1' should be only used for the root (/) file system (so it's checked first), with '2' used for other (linux) file systems.

Comment

Wow. That's a lot of finely pointed feedback. I'm off to give it a try. Muchas gracias!

Comment

It worked! R/W access to my windows partition is now activated.

I'm soooooo grateful. With one kind of problem or another, my work has been halted for three days while I solved Hardy upgrade problems. This was one of the biggest ones. Done...

You're definitely hero of the day in my book.

Comment

Working...
                    X