Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated Today and Laptop Fails to Start KDM (Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated Today and Laptop Fails to Start KDM (Solved)

I have been running 8.04 Hardy on my Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop for a couple of months now with few problems if any. This morning I accepted an update in the Adept updater. Now when the machine boots it stops at:

Code:
    Running Local Boot Scripts (/etc/rc.local)
    and will go no further. Any suggestions for getting it to boot? I think if I could just get to a prompt I could go from there. I don't know how much longer I can claim newbieness.

Re: Updated Today and Laptop Fails to Start KDM

Just an update with more info. When I boot the laptop I get the Kubuntu gear logo and the status bar goes all the way to the end. The problem seems to be when it tries to load the KDM windows manager. The system drops to command line mode and shows all of the processes completing as ok. Then it gives a message that KDE 4 is not the default display manager. I have KDE 4 installed but use KDE 3.5 as my default. Then as mentioned before it says Running local boot scripts and gives an [ OK ] but freezes after that.

Could it be bad Nvidia drivers? I just can't get past that point. I have tried every key combination I could think of to break out of the boot routine to get a command prompt but no success.

I am downloading the alternate CD to see if I can use it somehow to bail out of this situation. Please, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Re: Updated Today and Laptop Fails to Start KDM

Another update. I can get to a command line prompt using the alternate CD in rescue mode. All of my files and the file structure are intact. Any suggestions as to what to do at the prompt? I am kind of stuck and any ideas are greatly appreciated. Should I reconfigure the X server? My laptop has an Nvidia video card in it. I was getting the Nvidia logo on bootup when it was running normally. Anyone? I am still kind of basic in my skills.

Comment

Re: Updated Today and Laptop Fails to Start KDM (Solved)

I resolved the problem with my laptop by hitting esc during the Grub boot and selecting (recovery) mode. I selected "Attempt to fix Xserver" or something like that. I then rebooted and all seems well. I installed a new Nvidia driver from the Nvidia site and that seems to be working too. The solution was far simpler than I was making out to be. Good learning experience for me though.

Comment

Working...
        X