Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: boot problem, "spontanious hibernation", kubuntu thinks "laptop lid closed"

Originally posted by Snowhog
    Originally posted by MedionCentrinoKubuntu
    ...but like with both HH and XP installed on HD, unplugging the power cord immediately makes the laptop completely dead (could that have damaged HH earlier).
    That statement is very interesting. Running on battery vs running on AC is a control function of the hardware and pre-OS software (CMOS/BIOS). I'm going to suggest that it is very possible that you have a bad battery. How old is the laptop? Is the battery the original?

Another test to perform. You say that you have XP installed as well? If true, reboot into XP with the powercord connected. Once XP is up and running, unplug the powercord. Does your laptop 'turn off' as you have been experiencing? If it does, then I would be very inclined to suspect your battery.
    I can confirm that unplugging ac gives same result while running XP, laptop dead immediately.
    Battery can be too old 3-4 years. However, I cannot explain the spontaneous hibernation and the missing kpowersave GUI from a bad battery. Also because both problems do not happen on Xp and also not while running Gutsy from CD. Meanwhile I found a workaround for the spontaneous hibernation: startup in recovery mode.

Comment

Meanwhile I found a workaround for the spontaneous hibernation: startup in recovery mode.
      Which means you are running as root. Not (particularly) a good practice. That does though, bring to mind another possibility (and fix?). That you don't experience the issue 'as root' points to a possible user configuration problem. You could rename your users hidden .kde folder and shutdown/restart your system. This will of course, cause any desktop customizations to be 'lost' as well as other application settings (email, et al). But, if relogged back in as the non-root user you don't experience the problem, well ....
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Solved! Renaming .kde solves both problems! Thank a lot Snowhog and others.
        And Oops, I didn't know what recovery mode was, it was on my to do list to find out. I fully agree that is not good practice to run as root.

Comment

And Oops, I didn't know what recovery mode was, it was on my to do list to find out. I fully agree that is not good practice to run as root.
          Very happy to hear that your problem has been solved. In the earlier comment by askrieger that said: "...The essence of my suggestion was the word COMPLETELY (in Synaptic's "completely remove"). That "completely" means delete all the configuration files associated with kpowersave." this is what he was referring to. Most (if not all) application settings that are associated with a logged on user are kept in folders in the users hidden .kde folder. So, renaming this folder causes all those configuration files to not be seen by the OS. When the .kde folder is removed (or renamed), it is recreated when the system is rebooted and the user logs in.

Recovery (or Single User) mode is what you boot into to run as root. You end up at the command line (root can't run the X server).

Comment

Re: boot problem "spontanious hibernation ", kubuntu thinks "laptop lid closed"

Yes I realize askrieger already suggested to completely remove all configuration, I didin't know how.

, spontaneous hibernation problem came back. kpowersave GUI problem still solved.
            Scenario:
            -rename .kde
            -reboot
            result: all OK
            -hibernate
            -restore from hibernate
            result: no wireless network
            -reboot
            result: spontaneous hibernation
            -restore from hibernation
            result: wireless ok

you would not believe how puzzled I am.
            For instance, when I booted recovery mode, I get KDE environment and all customization I made for my normal user account. I have a hard time bringing this in line with your explanations Snowhog that recovery mode means running as root and no X server started. Are we talking about the same recovery mode? What I tried to refer to is the second entry in the Grub boot overview stating something like KUBUNTU 8.04 ...... RECOVERY

Comment

"recovery mode" is single user. One boots into this (normally) to do repairs on the system, which of course, requires root to do. Correct me if I'm wrong on this (I have not yet had to use recovery mode - very stable system here), but when you elect recovery mode, you end up on the command line. Did you have to issue the command startx afterwards to get the KDM Login screen?

Comment

Yes I realize askrieger already suggested to completely remove all configuration, I didin't know how.

, spontaneous hibernation problem came back. kpowersave GUI problem still solved.
                Scenario:
                -rename .kde
                -reboot
                result: all OK
                -hibernate
                -restore from hibernate
                result: no wireless network
                -reboot
                result: spontaneous hibernation
                -restore from hibernation
                result: wireless ok

you would not believe how puzzled I am.
                For instance, when I booted recovery mode, I get KDE environment and all customization I made for my normal user account. I have a hard time bringing this in line with your explanations Snowhog that recovery mode means running as root and no X server started. Are we talking about the same recovery mode? What I tried to refer to is the second entry in the Grub boot overview stating something like KUBUNTU 8.04 ...... RECOVERY
                -1- I have a simple work around: in Power Manager configure "When laptop lid close" to "do nothing". I guess the lid switch is broken. My second guess is that with HH the default changed to hibernate on lid closed.
                -2- I retried recovery mode. Result different as last time I tried: I now got a menu with option 3 what Showhog described. I ran the recoveries for for applications and x, result: nothing changed.

Comment

As I recall, the change in Recovery Mode from single (root) user to an ncurses menu with a variety of options occurred with Hardy. It provides both a kinder, gentler experience and more choices for repairing system problems.

Comment

I like this recovery mode change. I'm happy very with Kubuntu functionality and look and feel. Boot time could be a bit faster, I experience a black screen for several minutes, leaving me guessing whether something is happening or not.
                    Thanks again askrieger, Snowhog and others

Comment

Working...
                    X