X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] "spontanious hibernation ", kubuntu thinks "laptop lid closed"

Totally puzzled newby:
    Medion md95400 laptop updated from 7.10 to 8.04. After login just after desktop becomes visible, hibernation is triggered with a little dialog stating "laptop lid is closed". At going in hibernation I see: "Pat entry 2 already configured" and "i8042 kbd 00: 08: activation failed" and "unable to query synaptics hardware".
    Resuming from hibernation goes O.K. although with the same error messages and a "stopping NTP server". So booting without directly going hibernartion is not possible. After resume from hibernation, closing the lid triggers a hibernation. Resume just as noisy, but works.
    Lid switch is o.k. under Windows.

I noticed that the services overview states service "acpid" not running while with ps i see a process with that name running.
    Using ATI display drivers.
    Files /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/info and .../state complety empty
    Can not see Power Manager GUI (battery icon at taskbar panel), this problem started with a 7.10 update. If I kill process kpowersave and restart it in a console I get:

kpowersave: WARNING: Unknown error while aquire org.freedesktop.Policy.Power interface
    kpowersave: WARNING: Property: power_management.can_standby for: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer doesn't exist.
    kpowersave: WARNING: Property: battery.serial for: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT0 doesn't exist.
    kpowersave: WARNING: Property: battery.charge_level.capacity_state for: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT0 doesn't exist.
    kpowersave: WARNING: Property: battery.charge_level.unit for: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT0 doesn't exist.
    kpowersave: WARNING: Couldn't request charge_level.unit for udi: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT0

Anybody has a clue what is wrong?

Re: boot problem, "auto hybernation", lid closed

This is a cryptic post indeed!

Or does anybody else understand? Help!
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: boot problem, "spontanious hibernation", kubuntu thinks "laptop lid closed"

HH 8.04 running KDE 3.5.9 or HH 8.04 remix running KDE 4? If you haven't made a lot of desktop customization, you could always elect, when logging in, to start with a new session and see if the problem 'goes away.'
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Anybody has a clue what is wrong?
        Not really, but I do have some comments.

In general, this is a model debugging effort, (small consolation though that may be) but ... /proc/*/whatever/ "files" always show 0 bytes, because they are not files. They are entries into an interpreter of the state of the system. If you read them with a command like
        Code:
        cat /proc/acpi/...
        the system reports the state of the quantity requested and reports it in the pseudofile. So I'd try catting those empty proc entries and seeing what they can tell you.

Second, because this apparently started after a Gutsy update, and you're now running Hardy (which you seem to installed via an update) my initial hypothesis would be that you've got a screwed up configuration file dating from the Gutsy update. Accordingly, I would try to "completely remove" Kpowersave. That's the Synaptic command to remove not only the executable but also it's configuration files, (I'm not adept with Adept). Then reinstall it. I'm not familiar enough with laptop configuration (my lappy runs Dapper) to suggest what else might have gotten misconfigured.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          HH 8.04 running KDE 3.5.9 or HH 8.04 remix running KDE 4? If you haven't made a lot of desktop customization, you could always elect, when logging in, to start with a new session and see if the problem 'goes away.'
          Thanks for the reaction. I'm on HH 8.0.4 with KDE 3.5.9. I 'm not sure how to start a new session. At login, selecting KDE instead of default as previous session, resulted in the same problem still present, but I didn't loose any customization.

Comment

I'd follow the suggestion made by askrieger about removing (and reinstalling) kpowersave and see if that helps. I prefer doing such in a console, as I can then test what will happen.

Open a console and type:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get remove --simulate kpowersave
            Note any warnings. This simulates the removal of the application. Assuming no warnings, then type:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get remove kpowersave && apt-get clean && apt-get update
            Easiest is to copy the above line and paste it into the console. This will un-install kpowersave, clean out the local package cache and refresh the package cache. With this done, in the console type:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install kpowersave
            After this is done, close the console and perform a normal shutdown and restart. Report back on the results.

Comment

... /proc/*/whatever/ "files" always show 0 bytes, because they are not files.
              Thanks, didn't know that. Here are the outcomes of the "cat's":
              $ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/info
              type: Lid Switch
              $ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
              state: closed
              The latter is interesting and not expected.
              Second, because this apparently started after a Gutsy update
              Spontaneous hibernation started with Adept update from Gutsy to HH. Loosing the battery power manager GUI started earlier at a Gutsy update. I'm not sure whether the 2 issues are related.
              I will remove and reinstall kpowersave, also thanks to Snowhog for showing me how to do so from a console.

Comment

I'd follow the suggestion made by askrieger about removing (and reinstalling) kpowersave and see if that helps. I prefer doing such in a console, as I can then test what will happen.

Open a console and type:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get remove --simulate kpowersave
                Note any warnings. This simulates the removal of the application. Assuming no warnings, then type:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get remove kpowersave && apt-get clean && apt-get update
                Easiest is to copy the above line and paste it into the console. This will un-install kpowersave, clean out the local package cache and refresh the package cache. With this done, in the console type:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install kpowersave
                After this is done, close the console and perform a normal shutdown and restart. Report back on the results.
                Thanks, I tried it, step 2 gave an access problem, repeated the step with same result, see my output below. Unfortunately still "spontaneous hibernation" and missing "kpowersave GUI".

[sudo] password for me:
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                The following packages will be REMOVED:
                kpowersave
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                Remv kpowersave [0.7.3-1ubuntu1]
                $ sudo apt-get remove kpowersave && apt-get clean && apt-get update
                Building dependency tree
                The following packages will be REMOVED:
                kpowersave
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                After this operation, 5263kB disk space will be freed.
                Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
                (Reading database ... 114788 files and directories currently installed.)
                Removing kpowersave ...
                E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
                E: Unable to lock the download directory
                $ sudo apt-get remove kpowersave && apt-get clean && apt-get update
                Building dependency tree
                Package kpowersave is not installed, so not removed
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
                E: Unable to lock the download directory
                $ sudo apt-get install kpowersave
                Building dependency tree
                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                kpowersave
                0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                Need to get 3084kB of archives.
                After this operation, 5263kB of additional disk space will be used.
                Get:1 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe kpowersave 0.7.3-1ubuntu1 [3084kB]
                Fetched 3084kB in 8s (348kB/s)
                Selecting previously deselected package kpowersave.
                (Reading database ... 114583 files and directories currently installed.)
                Unpacking kpowersave (from .../kpowersave_0.7.3-1ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
                Setting up kpowersave (0.7.3-1ubuntu1) ...

Comment

This can be remedied.

To fix Adept errors:
                  Open a console and type:
                  Code:
                  sudo dpkg --configure -a
                  should fix it, else continue with
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get clean
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get update
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install

Comment

Snowhog, I tried the Adept fix but . cleaningup kpowersave still gives the access problem shown in my dump above. Reinstalled kpowersave anyway, problems still present.

Comment

There's always the (mildly dangerous) brute force technique.
                      Code:
                      cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
                      sudo rm lock
                      And then, proceed with the installation, etc. Realize, however, that kpowersave might NOT be the source of the problem. Kpowersave is just a GUI wrapper for some CLI stuff that really control power management. The essence of my suggestion was the word COMPLETELY (in Synaptic's "completely remove"). That "completely" means delete all the configuration files associated with kpowersave. Then when you reinstall, you get a brand new set of power configuration files. Personally, I have no idea what those configuration files are called or where they are located. I just figure that wiping the slate clean and starting over with the standard power management configuration would be a good thing to do.

Comment

Two things verified at least. 1) Adept's status as to cache and installed packages is correct, and 2) your problem is not directly related to kpowersave.

You can perform a test to see if it is something about your current system. If you have the LiveCD, boot your laptop from it. See if this behavior persists or is absent when running off of the LiveCD. If it persists, then the problem is with your laptop (BIOS setting??), and if it's absent, then it is something in your system settings in the installed OS on the HD.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                          There's always the (mildly dangerous) brute force technique.
                          Code:
                          cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
                          sudo rm lock
                          And then, proceed with the installation, etc. Realize, however, that kpowersave might NOT be the source of the problem. Kpowersave is just a GUI wrapper for some CLI stuff that really control power management. The essence of my suggestion was the word COMPLETELY (in Synaptic's "completely remove"). That "completely" means delete all the configuration files associated with kpowersave. Then when you reinstall, you get a brand new set of power configuration files. Personally, I have no idea what those configuration files are called or where they are located. I just figure that wiping the slate clean and starting over with the standard power management configuration would be a good thing to do.
                          Appreciate the help. I tried the brute technique, still:
                          Removing kpowersave ...

I guess using sudo and not logged in as root still doesn't give access permission, ls -lisa on ..lock gives:
                          -rw-r----- 1 root root

I had to look up what "Synaptic's completely remove" meant, I guess on Kubuntu the equivalent is Adept manager. I tried that a few times. Killing kpowersave (it does run always), then reinstall it in Adeptmanger, then start it in a console still gives:
                          $ kpowersave
                          kpowersave: WARNING: Unknown error while aquire org.freedesktop.Policy.Power interface
                          kpowersave: WARNING: Property: power_management.can_standby for: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer doesn't exist.
                          kpowersave: WARNING: Property: battery.serial for: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT0 doesn't exist.
                          kpowersave: WARNING: Property: battery.charge_level.capacity_state for: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT0 doesn't exist..............

So I guess its not the kpowersave GUI wrapper, but how to fix the underlying power management?

Comment

Two things verified at least. 1) Adept's status as to cache and installed packages is correct, and 2) your problem is not directly related to kpowersave.
                            agree
                            You can perform a test to see if it is something about your current system. If you have the LiveCD, boot your laptop from it. See if this behavior persists or is absent when running off of the LiveCD. If it persists, then the problem is with your laptop (BIOS setting??), and if it's absent, then it is something in your system settings in the installed OS on the HD.
                            Booted with a Gutsy installation CD. Interesting results!: no spontaneous hibernation and kpowersave GUI fully usable, battery seems to be charged but like with both HH and XP installed on HD, unplugging the power cord immediately makes the laptop completely dead (could that have damaged HH earlier).
                            I tried to enter the BIOS but unlike before a password must by entered, no clue where to get one.

Comment

Originally posted by MedionCentrinoKubuntu
                              ...but like with both HH and XP installed on HD, unplugging the power cord immediately makes the laptop completely dead (could that have damaged HH earlier).
                              That statement is very interesting. Running on battery vs running on AC is a control function of the hardware and pre-OS software (CMOS/BIOS). I'm going to suggest that it is very possible that you have a bad battery. How old is the laptop? Is the battery the original?

Another test to perform. You say that you have XP installed as well? If true, reboot into XP with the powercord connected. Once XP is up and running, unplug the powercord. Does your laptop 'turn off' as you have been experiencing? If it does, then I would be very inclined to suspect your battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X