This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] After upgrade to Hardy, Thunderbird won't launch

I finally did the Hardy upgrade. Very smooth. But, my Thunderbird email program is dead. It appears to be trying to launch, then just fails quietly. It was an install from a tar file, so I removed it and reinstalled, to no effect. Same problem. I'm now officially in over my head.

I also just found that my jEdit editor (which a java program) won't launch - THAT's likely a java problem, but again, I don't know what the problem might be or how to fix it, in truth. (Another java program - Moneydance, which I installed before the Hardy upgrade) launches fine, however.)

Both Thunderbird and jEdit are vital to me.

Any ideas what's wrong and what I can do about it? (Googled this and came up with nothing.)

Re: After upgrade to Hardy, Thunderbird won't launch

But, my Thunderbird email program is dead. It appears to be trying to launch, then just fails quietly. It was an install from a tar file, so I removed it and reinstalled, to no effect. Same problem.
    Do you get error messages, if you try to launch thunderbird in the konsole ?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: After upgrade to Hardy, Thunderbird won't launch

Hadn't tried that. When I did, I was told that T-Bird wasn't installed! Yikes.

I then found that it now appears in the repositories. With some reluctance, I installed that version, and it worked.

Except...(and this cost me 4 hours) it now stores user profiles in a different location, so I had a flippin' hard time figuring out what the problem was and how to fix it (which it self was relatively easy).

I don't know what to say about all this. I don't understand why the plain 'ole tar-file version isn't good enough for us, or why the user profile has to go in a new place. I just don't know, and don't have time to think about it any more. Things are working again, and I'm grateful. Gotta move on...

Comment

Working...
      X