This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> Cannot install KDM

My computer boots up to a command line prompt. I can get into the GUI by typing startx but when I logout and reboot, I still get the command prompt. When I tried /etc/init.d/kdm start, I discovered that I don't have kdm installed. The problem is that when I try to install KDM, I get the following error:

ainsaur@ainsaur-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install kdm
    [sudo] password for ainsaur:
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    ainsaur@ainsaur-desktop:~$

Any suggestions for what to do next?

Re: Cannot install KDM

When >searching< with the:
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open
    > Re: Problem installing Nvidia-glx file
    > Topic: Installing Compiz on Gutsy
    > Topic: EnvyNG not installing driver Kubuntu 8.04 final
    > + lot more of E: Could not get lock...

=>

If you do not have Adept, synaptic or apt-get running, you should delete that file
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    and
    To remove a package lock, do this:

# rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

H, thanks for the imput.
    but, take a look at point 2 (2 above your post) - I used "rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock" but got a "no such file",

Cheers
    sudo dpkg --configure -a ... You may need to do this more than once.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yeah, I'd try a
      Code:
      sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
      I had the same issue a couple of times and that has never failed so far...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it seemed to start to install kdm but I've run into another problem. There are some java applications that also need to be installed. When they start the installation process, I get a window (within the konsole) which describes the licensing. I know that this is typical but I can't select "ok" to allow the application to install. I scrolled to the end and pressed "enter" but nothing happened. I also clicked on the "ok" but nothing happens either. Without indicating that it's okay to continue, I'm stuck. How can I get past this window? Alternatively, can I prevent the installation of "sun-java6-bin" so that I can get kdm installed (solving one problem at a time)? Any suggestions?

Comment

kdm does not need java, so you are probably installing something else. Anyway, try "tab" to get into the window followed by enter.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thank you, Toad. I've got KDM back along with the other apps that needed to upgrade!

Comment

Working...
            X